Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-01, 08:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi All, (and you all better read this...third time typing it out....hehehehe).

Yesterday Hubby and I decided on visiting the thriving city of Barrie.

As time went on I realized I would have to start thinking about dinner. Naturally the thought here was...no way am I going to prepare something at home as by the time we get home it will be closer to 7 PM.

So with this in mind, my mind began racing at all of the choices we have in food outlets. Let's see now, no potatoes...hmmm...love those baked ones! No bread, well ok, but at restaurants they just seem to know how to make it just right! No pasta, oh...forgot about that stuff, must have eaten way too much of it prior to my woe now! No carrots, peas and corn....ummm...ok, getting a taste for cauliflower and broccoli now. No rice, well...well....ok

This brought me to Red Lobster and hubby agreed as he loves sea food. I have never been to Red Lobster before for fear of pricing, lets face it, seafood is expensive. Well I was right as by the time we sat down to check over the menu, Wendy started getting nervous, then again, I always get nervous at restaurants...I am always thinking, hmmm....that cut of meat would cost this amount and that salad would be...etc...and to do it at home it would be half the price...hehehe...One must remember one deserves a nice outing to a restaurant!

Anyhow, the food experience was a nice one. I had a Steak and Shrimp plate with a Caesar salad, no croutons. Hubby had a plate where he chooses two items and then also receives a side dish of his choice, (thank God he didn't choose a baked potato or I would have jumped up out of my seat and killed him right there!) plus he received a Caesar salad too.

I have been out to lunches prior to this dinner and find that when ordering out on this woe, it is a wonderful experience and easy to do. When on diet plans in the past, eating out was not the thing to do, due to not being allowed so many of the foods!

Now how great is this....I tell ya folks, this woe keeps getting better and better!

Wendy
Happy Easter All
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-01, 09:02

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%

i know how you feel, but lemme tell ya....it is SOOOO much easier with this WOE than trying to do the low fat thing at a restaurant....in the past couple of weeks i've eaten out twice and the order was the same....

"prime rib extra rare please and scratch the potato---just bring me a plate of some nice salad greeans, please!!!!"

gimme a big ole hunk a meat that's still half-mooing ANY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-01, 10:04
lizzy38

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Wink Way To Go Daugther

Really glad you had a great time. Red Lobster, I am jealous as we don't have any here in Vancouver. I could hop over the border but our Cananadian money is the pits as you know (boohoo). One of these days I will venture with my friend from White Rock. Proud of you with staying on the woe, and can't wait to see a full picture of you, with your stretch jeans.

Lizzy (Mom)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-01, 20:33

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

I've always found Red Lobster is an easy place to low carb....(have to tell them to keep those smelly garlic buns away though!!!)

The last time I was there (Brampton)...about the end of February we were really disappointed....the prices had gone up quite a bit from our last visit...i.e. a side salad used to be included in the luncheon specials...now they are extra..and the portions were a lot smaller.

Any chance I get....Red Lobster is always a favourite with me.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-01, 23:18

Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Why no western lobster?

Hearing about eating out, I went to Victoria overnight (good deal through Victoria tourism--return ferry fare, ferry reservation, one night hotel + taxes for $238. If your break it down to normal costs--approx $100 ferry (car + 2 people), $30 ferry reservation both ways, then that leaves a room at the Laurel Pt. resort for $108 incl. taxes--but you can get the package for $99 pp at a cheaper hotel). Anyway, ate out at the Keg in Victoria and had steak & lobster, caesar salad. Expensive, but worth it for lovely, rich, butter soaked lobster. But that started me thinking. Why don't we have a west coast lobster industry? Don't they grow here? Seems to me, lobsters grow most places, from tropical waters to cold waters. Anyone know?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-01, 06:17

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default hi liz!!...

dunno about the canadian west, but the area rich in lobster is the mid to north atlantic ocean. the state of maine is where most of the lobster come from for us. maryland is rich in the crab department.

just some useless info for ya.....lol
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-01, 06:20

BF:

Hey Liz,

Oh my, The Keg....my favourite...but they too went up in price with their food

Wendy

#8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-01, 08:16

Plan:
Stats: 203/122/128
BF:
Progress:

Red Lobster is my favorite place to eat! I go there so often all the wait staff knows my order by heart and know all the details of my woe

Glad you had such a good experience there!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 15:19

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool Places we eat at...

Places I have found that I can get a low carb and tasty dinner include:

Mogolian BBQ - For those not familiar with it, you get to pick out a bunch of meats/veggies and give it to a chef to stir fry right in front of you.

Quite a few Korean and Asian restaurants offer low carb dinners with meat and vegetables, just ask them to hold the rice and msg.

Mexican - Fajitas are great, you can actually get quite a few mexican dishes that are low carb, just be sure to say no to those free corn chips they put in front of you when you sit down.

Paul
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 21:39

BF:

Hi again Paul

I live in Orillia, Ontario. Wish we had restaurants like those. Now if I was back in Toronto, how happy I would be to be able to have that type of choice.

Knew there was a down fall coming up here, just wasn't sure what it was until now....LOL

Wendy