Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 08:49

Plan: low carb
Stats: 263/254/130
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default My sister is getting married in 5 weeks pls help...Induction help

I need help,

I started this about 1 week ago and failed and would like to start fresh again. I realized that I wasn't fully prepared and I live a busy life.

I want to start fresh this week and start will all the necessary shopping for induction food. I don't have much time now before my sister's wedding a little less then 6 weeks well, 5 week really before April 10th arrives. I know I won't lose all of the weight I have to lose but at least it can be a start and I am hoping for a 20-25lb lost. And this time I want to do it right.

The reason I think I failed this past week is I didn't take my meals with me to work and the meals I purchased in the cafe must have had hidden carbs. About 2 days into the diet I started to have major headaches which I guess were from carb withdrawal, tea withdrawal which I used to have 3 times a day with milk and two sugars and is my downfall I have to have it.

I know I can do this but right now I feel like a failure, I don't know how to get past the cravings, and headaches and without my cups of tea. Is there any advice out there what am I doing wrong?

I am going to go out later today for some carb free induction food shopping and any advice will be helpfull.

Signed,

Super Fat Chic in New York
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 09:10
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi there!

Yes, you're right, you were probably having headaches from both carb and caffeine withdrawal. You can help to make them more tolerable by drinking MORE water, taking tylenol or advil, and weaning off of caffeine rather than going cold turkey. Even so, you may have the headaches for 3-4 days. Try to keep in mind that you're doing something GOOD for yourself to help your motivation to hang in there.

You're also right about the preparation issue.... after a year of LCing, I can tell you that this is the most important factor in staying on track. It's very difficult to just "wing it"....especially through induction. I'd suggest visiting the LC Kitchen forum and find yourself some good, freezable casserole type recipes that you can zap for breakfast or lunch. Crustless Pizza or Deep Dish Pizza Quiche are 2 that come to mind.

Good luck!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Go ahead and have your tea, but drink it with cream instead of milk and Splenda instead of sugar. Count each packet of Splenda as one carb and count your cream carbs (lower than milk), and prepare to do this way of life well. 20-25 lbs for your sister's wedding is possible, even probable, if you do your low-carb plan correctly.

I'm afraid headaches and body aches and other pains are simply a part of withdrawing from carbs, though. Almost everyone has these pains during the first 3 days to one week of low-carbing; some people have it for the whole two weeks of Induction. Do what you can to ease the transition - maybe begin on a Friday so your weekend is when the worst pains occur - or stop exercising during the first three days (or until the pain goes away). In any case, the best way to control your cravings is to do the plan correctly - it works if you stick by it.

Good luck!