Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 13:18

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

Hi there - I have some real questions here.

I don't think I'm eating enough right now - I registered with www.fitday.com and recorded everything I ate yesterday - only 700 calories which I know from experience can put your body into 'starvation mode'.
And what about fat grams - yesterday I had 28 fat grams (dressing on salad) which came in at 251 calories, 39 carb grams for 118 calories , and 74 protein grams for 295 calories. Doesn't sound healthy and I have this awful taste in my mouth.
At the moment I am so confused!

This is what I had -
B - 2 cups of coffee w/ 4 oz milk
L- 2 cups of mixed greens w/ a can of tuna, 1 1/2 tbsp of Renee's Caesar Vinagrette dressing
D- 2 cups of mixed greens w/ grilled skinless chicken breast, 1 1/2 tbsp of above dressing
(Dressing has 48 cals per tbsp, 4.9 g of fat, .5 g of carb
Snack - one small apple
herbal tea
Water - 8 glasses

Now - according to the PPP, I am supposed to have about 60 grams of protein per day (so I went over for the day), and between 20-30 grams of carbs (over again). So where am I supposed to get enough calories?

Sorry to sound like a doubter, but something just isn't right here.

Please can someone help?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 20:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheral
I had 28 fat grams (dressing on salad) which came in at 251 calories, 39 carb grams for 118 calories , and 74 protein grams for 295 calories.
Hi Cheral,
According to PPP, you should be eating a minimum of 60 gm protein per day, if you are a small to average sized sedentary woman. If you are taller, or more active, your protein needs are even greater. Chapter 5 goes into this in detail. It is fine, even desirable to go over the 60 gm. Another tenet of the Eades is to distribute the protein evenly through the day - eat at least a small amount of protein with every meal and SNACK. The carbs are too high, maybe... you haven't calculated the fiber grams......... in PPP, you subtract grams of fiber from the total carb grams in a food, because fiber is not digested. The remaining carb value is called "effective carbs" or ECC. Chapter 5 explains this as well. As for your fat intake....... way too LOW.

Eat more fat. Your head is still in the mindset of "fat is a killer" and the lowFAT mythology in the current media. Dietary fat consumed in the absence (or minimum) of carbohydrate will in fact stimulate the burning of body fat. It's ok to leave the skin on chicken, eat bacon and egg yolks. Real butter is better for your arteries than plastic margarine. Cream instead of milk. Use bottled salad dressing (sugar free) and add an extra Tbsp of olive or flax oil for your salads. Use tuna and sardines packed in oil, not water. Again, Chapter 5 of ProtPwr explains all this in detail.[

-....2 cups of coffee w/ 4 oz milk.... use cream instead of milk. 4 oz of 2% milk has 6.5 carbs, and it's all sugar (lactose). I find a single Tbsp of 18% cream perfect for a 10 oz mug of coffee, and that only has 0.5 carbs. Don't be afraid of the fat. Your lunch and dinner sound fine, but add a little more fat. Apples are NOT a carb bargain, way too high, even after the fiber is subtracted, an apple has around 20 carbs. Better choice for lowcarb fruit is some berries, or a slice of cantaloupe, or a small kiwi. The PPP lists fruit portions of 5 and 10 grams in Chapter 6, I think...... might be 5. There is absolutely no nutrient or fiber in fruit that can't be found in vegetables...... except SUGAR. By cutting out the apple and the milk .... you could have some strawberries with ricotta cheese for brekkie, and some steamed asparagus with butter, lemon and a grind of black pepper for dinner. YUM.

Take a good look at the sample menus in Chapter 6. Try to follow those examples. They include snacks as well. Just remember ... .. Eat some protein with every meal and snack. Fat is good. Vegetables are better than fruit.

As an aside, from Atkins - eating some protein is the best cure for sugar cravings. Keep some hard-boiled (or better yet, pickled) eggs ready. Cook an extra chicken breast for dinner, and have 1/2 the remaining portion cold for a snack. Dip it in lowcarb salad dressing or mayonnaise.

hope this is helpful,

Doreen

Last edited by doreen T : Mon, Feb-26-01 at 17:18.