Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/216/190 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default BFL C1 - Questions...

Hey everyone. I have lost 20lbs thus far with low carb and walking. I am ready to take it up a notch, so I am going to give low carb BFL a try. I have tried BFL before, but did not get much out of it. Looking back I realize I had way too many carbs. I start C1 on Monday so I have a couple of quick questions.

1. I realize that I will have to up my carbs so i'm going to have a Myoplex as a Post Workout Shake. Does anybody have any kind of post workout shake after cardio (which will be HIIT) or is it better after cardio not to bother? I guess what I should say is does anyone have carbs after the aerobic session?

2. I see there is a little disagreement as to when to take the meal with carbs, before or after training. I was just curious what most of you do. Before or after the workout for optimal performance.

3. I understand the science behind doing cardio first thing in the morning, but I was curious what peoples personal experience was with early morning cardio. It still sounds catabolic to me. Especially the weight training first thing in the morning. Because low carbers glucose is so low anyway would we not reap the benefits anytime of day?

I appreciate any advice or comments. I will be starting to record in my journal on Monday so anyone can feel free to drop in and offer up their advice, criticisms etc.

Thanks again,
Clive
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 21:33
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Hi Clive,

Glad to hear you're going to give BFL another try.

Here is my $0.02 worth on your Questions.
1. I also have a Myoplex as a post workout shake. But I just have a normal breakfast on cardio days and I don't have that for at least an hour after doing the cardio.
2. I have some extra carbs both before and after my workouts. I have some extra carbs before to give me the energy to get through the workout.
3. I don't really know the answer to this question. I do cardio first thing in the morning and weight training in the afternoon, just because that is what is most convenient for me.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Arnie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 04:33
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

My personal experience with morning fasted cardio has been excellent. First of all, the psychological factor gets taken care of...I hate cardio with a passion, and this way I get it over with first thing in the morning and don't have to think about it for 48 hours.

Also, I get huge endorphins from interval training, and it's nice to start the day with that feeling.

Emily
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 15:57
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Hi Emily,

I share your sentiments exactly. It's so nice to have it done and over half an hour after you get up in the morning.

Arnie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 07:44

Stats: 245/216/190 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 53%

Thanks for the imput Arnie and Emily. I guess I will give the cardio first thing in the morning a shot. Looks like you have both been doing great. Nice to have all this insperation.

I am so SORE! Can't wait for the first week to be over. Guess I better stock up on the glutamine.

Thanks again,
Clive