Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 12:49

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%
Question How can I increase fat in my diet?

Geez, I'd never though I would be asking that question!

Since I re-started this WOE on May 29 I have been averaging between 1600-1700 calories, 62% fat, 5% net carbs (22 g/day avg), and 31% protein (119 g/day avg). I would like to decrease my protein intake a little and increase my fat intake, but don't seem to be able to do it very easily.

I am a picky eater - I don't like mayo, soft cheeses (except riccotta but it has to be in a lasagna or ravioli for me to eat it), sour cream, whipped cream, ranch dressing, yogurt, etc. Anything that qualifies as "white gunky stuff" I just can't bring myself to eat (my sister and brother are both the same way, so it must be the way we were brought up). I use butter and olive oil as much as I can, but I'm at a loss as to how to increase fat without also increasing protein.

I have been trying to eat whipped cream with some cocoa powder added so it at least looks like chocolate. But I just can't do anything mayo-related.

Any suggestions?

Joan

Last edited by tagcaver : Mon, Jul-21-03 at 12:54.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 13:06
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

All of my suggestions you don't like LOL. How about some nuts?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 13:40

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

AGGHHH a picky eater!!! J/K

Wow, I'm really limited in what I can suggest. How about adding italian dressing to things? Marinades, salads, veggies, etc. You're already adding butter and oil, my normal suggestions. How about more hard cheeses (> 4 oz)?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 16:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Get Soy Lecathin granuals or liquid from a health food store. It adds fat when sprinkled onto foods or mixed in things. Look beyond just olive oil too. There is coconut oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil and so on. Mix a tablespoon of oil in with scrambled eggs. Fry things. You can also try eating more red meat such as beef cuts, or add in pork. If you are taking a fish oil suppliment that also adds a little fat and cals, though not much. You can also drizzle oil over meat to keep it moist, not just your veggies.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 19:38
Registered Member

Stats: 178/147/130 Female 157.5cm (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 65%

Do you like avacados?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 21:07

Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"
Progress: 47%

what about adding some bacon to your salads? or having some peanutbutter and celery? i sometimes have trouble keeping my calories up, so i add a bit of olive oil to everything- a tsp here and there is undetectable in the food, but i can make sure i'm going to keep up the calories and fat percentage. or, just have an occational atkins candy bar, if they dont cause you to stall. there's a good place to get yoru fats.... lol.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 22:18

Stats: 257.2/252.8/165 Female 5'9"
BF:less than it was!
Progress: 5%

tag how about some nuts? especially macadamia nuts. theres a lot of fat in those babies
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 16:33

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Kristy and Cinnamon. Yes, I do eat nuts, but I can't keep them within reach. I do buy single serve packets when I'm at a convenience store or in Walmart, but it's dangerous to keep them in the house! They do help to raise fat (especially those yummy macadamias) but not protein too much.

Tiffany, Yes, I am! (Picky, that is.:cool I do use Italian dressing as a substitute for mayo (try it in tuna salad - YUMMY!) I've gotta think of more creative ways to add it to things. I use so much on salads, but most of it ends up puddled in the bowl when I'm done. It doesn't stick to the lettuce as well as the white gunky stuff.

LadyBelle, I will get some soy leticin my next trip out. Thanks for the suggestion. I never would have thought of that.

Elixia, when I was growing up my neighbors had to have their avocado tree removed. Every time I got near it I broke out in a rash (which stopped when the tree was removed). I avoid avocado - don't want to find out the hard way that I have a major allergy to it. But thank you for the suggestion. It would make my taco salads more interesting. (I don't eat the sour cream either - white gunky stuff.)

Saccharine - I do dip celery in cheddar cheese dip - PB is something I just don't care for unless it has chocolate wrapped around it. But maybe I can develop a taste for it. I do have one of the high-fat candy bars every now and then - but only when I have no plans to go anywhere..... I think I'll go try the celery/PB now and maybe it will be as good as the chocolate/PB - you think?

I'll start incorporating these ideas and see if I can get my fat up and protein down. Thanks!

Joan
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 16:52

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Yeah! Another chocolate lover. If you want to add some fat to your diet, try Atkins Endulge Peanut Butter Cups. They are great and just 1 serving will give you 13 g of fat. Yummmmmy. All of my friends and family try to steal mine (even the people not LC). Atkins Caramel Nut Chew is pretty good also. Good luck and have fun.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 17:15
Registered Member

BF:

Ok then no avacado for you

Other things might be coconut cream? I know its white and gunky - but sooo yummy in shakes with a bit of cream, yoghurt and some berries.

Otherwise - what types of meat do you eat - try to eat lots of fatty meat - chops, mince, steak and eat the fat too (I personally find it the yummiest bit If its cooked so its crispy) otherwise some lunch meats are quite fatty eg salami (however be careful of the salt too) Pork rinds are another option (but the salt thing applies)

Have mock danishes with lots of butter on top and you can spread just about every cooked vege with a knob of butter (eg steamed brocolli, cauliflower, spinach, silver beet, cabbage
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 18:38
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
coconut cream?

Is this the same as coconut milk in the can? I don't think it's that high fat, but does have some carbs. I use the milk in my coffee and tea, along with cooking. I love anything coconut these days including coconut oil, meat, and milk. If there's a cream out there, maybe I should get it
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 04:37
Registered Member

BF:

Ladybelle Over here, coconut cream is different from coconut milk - thicker, creamier. The one I get has 1.5g carbs per 100ml (+17 g fat, 1.5 g protein) so it is quite a bit higher in fat (and lower in carbs) than the normal coconut milk over here - But it is soooo yummy and great for shakes