Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 15:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/186.5/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 22%
Smile Anyone in Reno, Nv?

I wonder if there are lowcarbers in No. Nevada especially Reno.
I'm starting Atkins again after being on a emotional roller coaster for a few years. (who hasn't had those things?) I comforted myself with carbs while watching my mother fade with Alzheimers. I have a griip on myself now and want to get this weight off.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 17:38

BF:

I'm a happy girl. I have lost 5 pounds. Wahoo!!!
My energy is back. I shopped at Trader Joe's
yesterday. My fridge is full of things that are good for me.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 09:48
Registered Member

Stats: 269/221/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I am in Sparks. Does that count? Would have responded to your post sooner - but I don't get into this area of the forum very often

Did you read in last week's paper about the new low carb store that will be opening in South Reno soon? They have future plans for a low carb cafe. That should be great.

Enjoy the warm weather!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 19:11

BF:

Hi stacey rae,
sure Sparks counts! Glad to hear from you. I have been on vacation since Sept 18 and just got home.
I went to Branson on the train with a tour group and had a wonderful time. Best of all I stayed with LC and didn't gain.
Yes I did read about the new store but I forgot where it is going to be. Please refresh my memory.
i find lots of Atkins and othe lc products at The Good Earth Healty Food store on Plumb in Reno.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 10:21
Registered Member

BF:

Travel Gal-
I think that the new store will be in the area of Longley and Virginia. I'll check it out next time I'm in that area. Have you been able to find flavored pork rinds? I have only seen the picante (super hot) flavor and would like to find a BBQ or maybe nacho cheese. I've never been to The Good Earth. Where on Plumb is it?

Did you take the train all the way from Reno to Branson? Congratulations on no cheats during vacation. That is always a weak time for me.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 11:35

BF:

Stacey Rae
I apologise for giving you the wrong name for the health food store. It's Great Earth at 75 Plumb Lane.
On Plumb between Virginia and Lakeside in the Lakeside Plaza Shopping center. I haven't found any other flavors of pork rinds except the ones you mentioned. I do like the Cinnamon Crisps recipe for home made cinnamon flavored pork rinds. I found
Carb Solitions high protein chips at Walmart. They are Nacho cheese chips and I like them. They are 3carbs per 1/2 a bag. Look in the drug store section and on the top shelf.
Congratulations on your weight loss! It's inspiring to me.
Yes, I went to Branson most all the way by train with a tour group. There are sections in Calif from Sacramento to LA where Amtrac uses Coaches. Also from Kansas City to Branson was by coach.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 12:06
Registered Member

BF:

Travel Gal

How did you like the accommodations on the train? I took the train from Reno to Elko once and was a little disappointed. Of course, I sat in the coach section - so maybe things are better when you have a sleeping compartment. It is definitely a nice way to get a different perspective on the scenery.

I also saw low carb shakes (the same as are sold at Walmart in the silver carton) at Costco. I like having those around.

You have done very well on your weight loss! I wish that I were starting where you are and didn't have such a large mountain to climb.

I have been a little scared to try the sweet pork rind recipes, but I'm sure that their natural blandness makes them work with many flavors. I just love the recipe forum! I became obsessed with making the perfect cheesecake.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 13:16

BF:

Stacey Rae
The train accommodations were less than satisfactory. In the sleeping car the roomette is suppose to be for two people.. No way! It's cramped for one. The private room has more room and it's own shower but it costs too much for what you get.
The meals in the dinning room were included in the cost of the roomette. The food was good and I was able to follow lc. My father and grandfather worked for the railroad and I use to travel a lot on the train. It is not the same now.
I have Atkins shakes in the fridge but haven't tried them yet. I assume you like them if you buy them. what is the best flavor? Do they slow down your weight loss? I will look for them in costco. I have found the bars slow my weight loss so I don't eat them.
I like the cheesecake recipe in "Dr Atkins New Diet Cookbook" by Atkins and Fran Gare. The cookbook is not new now. It was published in 1994. I'v had it for years and don't know if it is in the book stores now.
If you are interested I can give you the recipe.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 13:46
Registered Member

BF:

Travel Gal
Just got back from lunch at Red Robin. They have this great chicken platter. It is called Chicken Ensenada - it's chicken breasts with a lime dipping sauce.

I have only had the off-brand of the shakes so I don't know about Atkins brand (I'm too cheap to buy them). The only flavor that I have tried is chocolate. They don't bother my weight loss as long as I use them as a meal replacement and not a snack.

I have the Atkins cookbook and have made that recipe. I also made Karen's recipe with an almond crust, but I messed up and did not add enough cream cheese (3 pkg instead of 3 lbs - duh!) I think that it would be wonderful if made properly.

HAVE A NICE WEEKEND!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 21:51

BF:

Stacey Rae
I'm sorry to be so long in writing. I have been so busy I haven't checked in lately. I had four family birthdays and then a wedding comming up. I needed a dress for my grand-daughter's wedding and had a hard time finding one. Most of the stores in town don't carry dresses that are appropiate for a wedding in plus sizes. The few dressier ones were black. I ordered a couple from catalogs and finally found one that fit and I liked. I waited too long to get a dress. I never thought it would be a problem.
She is getting married on the 18th. You can tell I'm a procrastinator.
I like the Red Robin. I'll try the chicken platter.
I made a meat loaf today using ground up pork rinds instead of cracker crumbs for a binder. It was delicious. I don't know why I waited so long to try it.
Have you tried the chop house? I haven't but I heard an advertisement say they have low carb
things on the menu.
I hope yu haven't given up on me.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 15:23
Registered Member

BF:

Travel Gal-
It's nice to hear from you again! I agree with you about the lack of plus size shopping options in this area. I usually shop at Catherine's, but the choices there are limited. I find myself shopping from catalogs too.

I'm glad you were able to find something to wear to the wedding.

Do the pork rinds change the taste/texture in a noticeable way? My husband is kind of a picky eater, so I have only used parmesan cheese as a binder.

I love the Chop House! My husband and I have gone there a couple of times. They have a daily Atkins special, but you can also just order your meat and substitute a vegetable for the starch. I love the spinach. The prices are a little steep, but it's a great place for a quiet dinner.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 23:25

BF:

Stacey Rae,

I use a recipe for meatloaf that has hamburger and saugage with onions, eggs, garlic, salt, pepper,tomato sauce and cracker meal. i put the ground up pork rinds in place of the cracker meal.
The texture was the same and the same taste. If there was no saugage in it, it's possible you might taste a difference and then again you might not.

The wedding is in San Diego and I'm leaving Thurs morning and returning Sun. I might not be on the net much until I get back.

Have a good rest of the week and week end. I'll
check in next week.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 10:29
Registered Member

BF:

Travel Gal-

Have a nice time in San Diego. I'll talk to you when you get back.

Oh - by the way - my mom had an interesting experience with meatloaf. She used some flax seed that I had given her as a binder. She said that the look on dad's face when he took a big bite was priceless. So, we can scratch that item off of our list of ingredients.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 09:59

BF:

I'm back from San Diego. The wedding was beautiful and I had a wonderful time. I developed a bladder infection on the way home so the plane trip was not fun. I'm surprised that I haven't gained since I got back because I've been drinking lots of cranberry juice. Even the kind with splenda is 10 carbs for 8 oz. How are you doing? The tough times are ahead. Thanksgiving and Christmas. How do you deal with all the holiday foods that we avoid? I'm looking for a lc pumpkin something to have instead of pie. Have you tried a pumpkin cheesecake? I seem to remember seeing one somewhere. I will do a search for one
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 10:37
Registered Member

BF:

Travel Gal-

Sorry to hear about your illness. Airports and sickness just don't mix. Have you tried the cranberry tablets? I used those once a long time ago, but I don't remember if they had carbs. Hope you feel better soon.

I am worried about the holidays too. I am in the middle of a terrible stall. I keep gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. I will have to be careful during the holidays.

I am thinking of trying to do a low carb pumpkin pie with an almond crust. I might also do a pumpkin cheesecake. I know I saw a recipe somewhere. I will search the recipe forum and let you know what I find. I will probably experiment before the holiday.

They are opening a new Curves by my house (Spanish Springs). I am planning on transferring my membership out there. I have had trouble getting over there these past few months and am hoping that I can go in the evenings after the kids have been fed. I really need to make it a priority because I don't think I'll be able to meet my weight loss goals without an exercise program. Do you exercise?

I found BBQ pork rinds at the new Walmart Superstore by Sam's Club. They are pretty good.

Have a nice day!