Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 13:55
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%
Unhappy Still very sick

I tell ya, this cold is a bad one. My throat is raw and yes I been gargling with salt water. SF cough drops, some cold pills and about a gallon of water a day. I can't drink Diet Rite, stings too much.. All I really been able to swallow is sf jello, scrambeled eggs,a lil LC ice cream and over cooked veges till soft..

Im taking my supplements as well.. Any other swallowable ideas are most welcomed.. PLEASE help

Angel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 14:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Have you been to doctor to rule out strep?

Make soups. Finely shred some cabbage, chicken broth add crumbled bacon for taste and just leave set on low on stove stiring occasionaly, or in a covered slow cooker set to low.

Warm teas can be very soothing on throats as well. I love my herbal teas. Good Earth puts out a tea for colds, I havn't tried it yet. It's in the cupboard just in case.

You might try getting some protien shakes and sip very slowly. Get a thin one such as EAS ready made, or make an Atkins one, just with 1 scoop instead of 2. These can be warmed as well if that makes it go down easier.

If you can handle dairy, maybe some plain unsweetened yogurt. You can also mix 1/2 cup with 1 scoop Atkins chocolate shake mix for a pudding like treat.

Keep eatng mostly LC so you don't wind up with a stomach ache on top of everything, but I wouldn't obsess with it. If you feel something moderate carb will help and help you get food in, go for it. Those LC tortillas are nice on upset stomachs, though may be very hard for you to swallow.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 14:08
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Angel.

The only other idea I have is protein shake mix - if you have a blender, you could mix it with lots of ice. That might feel good on your throat.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

(edit - posted at the same time as ladybelle. )
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

How about eggnog? That's exactly the kind of thing I want when my throat is raw -- cool, creamy, and sweet. There's a thread going about it right now here, and there's a good recipe from Atkins.com at http://atkins.com/food/recipes/all/...ned_Eggnog.html. And as per Kristine's suggestion, adding some protein powder wouldn't hurt!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 14:45
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

(LOL) You guys are the best.. I just had to giggle when I read the most obvious idea, DUH on my part. I sgould have thought of shakes first...And LadyBelle, thank you for that soup idea...
I had some Atkins shakes in the cabbinet and had totally forgotten about them..
I did go to the doctor and he said I had a very nasty head cold..Not the flu thank goodness.

One thing I noticed since I started this WOE, I can only take HALF the medicine I use to. Seems stronger. Anyone else exsperience that? I be Nyquil would have kicked my butt.I no longer use that stuff of course.
PS....Consuming mostly water tyhe past four days had made me feel like a water balloon.
Angel
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 15:13
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Angle,

I really want to second LadyBelle here. It sound more like strep throat to me. And I know strep is going around a lot right now. You really should get a strep test done.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 18:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%

How bout some sugar free popsicles? They are low carb and they will soothe your throat and get some fluids into you as well. I have had a nasty upper respiratory infection and awful congestion for over 2 weeks now and it is taking forever to go away. I hope you are feeling better soon!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 16:45
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Today I can mannage without cold pills. And food is ok. The popsicles were a blesing in the morning when my throat was the dryest.. Thanks again all