Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 14:37

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 198/183/165
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Calling all Sky Scrapers

Ok the short people have started a thread so I would like to go with the other end of the spectrum and have a thread for us tall people.

I am Gretchen
36 and 6'1"
Started Dec 18, 2002 at 198
Lost so far 8#
Goal is to reach 165
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 15:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm 5'7". Not that tall, but tall enough to have a hard time finding clothes that fit.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 16:08

BF:

Hi Kristine. I love your name my oldest daughters middle name is Christine (Alysha Christine she goes by Allie). She is 3/4" taller than you are and she is 13. Her father is also 5'7" but hasn't seen her in 5 years so when he sees her he will have to look up to her. LOL

Glad to have you join the SkyScrapers
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 16:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow, I guess she got your height genes!

My parents spelled my name with a 'K' because my last name is ridiculously common, and they didn't want it to sound like an alias or something.

A fun fact: my ex b/f's were all my height or shorter than me. My current b/f is the first tall one. He's about 6'4". So now, I really like wearing big, chunky platform shoes so I don't have to stand on my toes to kiss him.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 18:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi Gretchen,

I'm Carol and I'm only 5' 8 1/2". I often wish I were taller so I could spread some of this weight out. You must actually look great at the weight you are! You're very pretty too.

I also wish I were 36 again. I was 34 when I had my first baby and her name is Greta.

Carol
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 18:12

BF:

Carol, I had my first at 22, my second at 30 and my last at 33 and she will be 3 next month.

I am bottom heavy and I just get sick when I look at the flat on the inner part of my thighs (BIG YUCKERS).

At age 20 I was a very light 135 for my 6'1" frame and looked anorexic but wasn't. I am going to get my 20 year old metabolism back.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 19:45
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I'm 5'9-1/2" and looking forward to getting out of plus size clothes so I can buy clothing designed for tall women. The manufacturers seem to think that women are either tall or fat, but not both simultaneously. The standard in-seam in plus sizes seems to be 29", which does not work for me. The only catalogues I have found with a 32" in-seam in plus sizes are Silhouettes and Lands' End (which will hem some of their plus size pants to the length you specify). Does anyone know of any others?

Also, does anyone know of any catalogue that sells shirts for tall people who wear plus sizes? All my shirt sleeves are too short and I have to wear them pushed up to my elbows so they don't look funny. My arms are disproportinately long -- they really should be on someone who is 6' tall. Silhouettes doesn't carry tall sizes for shirts, just for pants, and Lands' End only carries tall sizes in shirts up to 20 (I need a 22 or 24).
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 13:30

Stats: 143/140/125
BF:
Progress: 17%

hello,

I'm 5'7 1/2, I consider myself to be tall because i seem to be surrounded by munchkins ( In the nicest possible way!) My boyfriend is 5'11, so we're a pretty good match!

I am trying to lose my post university pounds, I need to get back down to 125 otherwise i feel i might lose the grip and keep putting on from here !

janejj
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 23:52

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Ya'll

Glad you started this thread Gretchen! I'm 5'8" (which I don't consider that tall) and wouldn't mind being taller. No chance at that since I am 43

Have 2 children, Kristin (21 next month which is 5'6") and Michael who is 16, 5'8" and just started his growth spurt. He thought he would be short forever! Both of them are thin, some say too thin but they have high metabolisms and eat whatever they want. I was that way till I hit 40, had some problems which is why I think my metabolism changed. Plus not very active like I use to be.

Started at 175 10/28/02
Goal 145
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 04:09
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:

Hi! I'm 5' 9 1/2" and most of my clothes are size 14. I'm looking forward to getting back into them soon, and maybe back to the size 10 jeans I wore last Christmas before my baby came along!

Beth
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 09:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 243/211.8/165 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi Gretchen - My name's Gretchen too. Not a lot of us in this world. I'm not real tall - 5' 6" but have long legs and a short torso. I can definitely identify with the problem of finding pants that fit. Ones that I find in the Plus size stores have a crotch that hit me about mid-thigh. Pretty uncomfortable. With 60 some percent of Americans being overweight, you'd think someone would design clothes that fit.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 10:01

Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi I'm Marie.

I'm 5'8" and 38 years old. I hated being tall when I was a kid but love it now. 10 pounds is a lot when you tall and you can stretch it out!

I've got two daughters - Crystal 10 and Amber 7 - both tall for their ages so I wouldn't be surprised if they end up as tall as me or taller. My oldest daughter already wears my shoe size!!

Happy New Year to all.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 10:44

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Hi Cindy here....I'm 5'8" and 48 yrs old. I find it a lot easier now than when I was a kid to get clothes to fit! Back in my teens I often had to buy men's jeans and sweaters because women's were too short!

I'm not that tall, but I'm all legs and the best fit in pants has always been 33-34" inseam.

Quote:
The only catalogues I have found with a 32" in-seam in plus sizes are Silhouettes and Lands' End (which will hem some of their plus size pants to the length you specify). Does anyone know of any others?

Have you tried Lane Bryant? I've not ordered anything from their catalog, but I do know in the stores they seel talls for jeans (venezia....I think the only ones that fit right!) and some slacks. They sell in sizes from 14 to 28 (I think it's 28, might be 26)....and while not everythign comes in tall, many items do.

Also, have you tried buying men's shirts, sweaters, etc? You'll be limited, since you dont' want clothes that are obviously men's....but especially with sweaters you might find they fit better. I always try to buy men's for turtle necks, sweaters, sweatshirts. Sometimes a nice flannel shirt too.

I have 2 teens. My daughter is 20, 5'9" and very thin and leggy at 125-135#. she has a terrible time finding pants that fit because she only wears a size 8 or 10. My son is 18, 6'3" and about 180#...not sure if he's done growing yet. He has trouble too because unlike most men, he has long legs...needs at least a 33" inseam. Luckily for him he wears his clothes baggy and droopy, so he can get away with some sizes. It was fun last year trying to find "nice" clothes that fit him....he only takes a 34 waist and 15 neck (for shirts) but the inseams and arm lengths were all too short! We ended up buying the best fit and then having the clothes altered! But it was worth it! all dressed up he certainly looked impressive!

Re height in the genes....my mom was tall...5'7", but also much taller than most of the men in her family. My dad was 6'3.5" and about "average" for his family. My brother and I always said we were the runts of the family. He only made it to 6'1", and I"m 5'8". One of my cousins has 3 daughters...two of which are over 6'! I have other cousins that are 6'5" and taller! We always said it was mom's "short genes" that kept us all shorter!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 11:41

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default 5'10" here

My mom is only 5'2" or 5'3". Daddy is 6'3" though. My boys will probably be tall. My ex is 6'4".

Yep the pounds look better on a big frame - noone would ever guess how much I weigh. Even though I wear a size 18/20 most people would top me out at 200 max.

When I get closer to my goal, I may reevaluate how low I want to go. I weighed 135 in college. I didn't feel skinny, just normal size. Hard to say though.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 309/250/169 Female 69 inches
BF:
Default Hello

Hi All,

I am brand new to this site and this is my first post. I followed LC before but got away from it and I am almost back to where I started from.
I am 5'9" and taller than both of my biological parents. I agree that having the extra height really helps hide the extra weight. I have some problems with finding clothes that fit right but hopefully will lose some of this weight soon and it will be easier. Why do they put short legs on pants and short arms on bigger sizes?? I know you can get them in some stores but I have a hard time finding them.
I look forward to posting some more and hope you don't mind a "newbie".
Have a great day.

Marie