Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 15:59

Plan: atkins / paleo
Stats: 130/125/120
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Food Sensitivities

Hi Everyone:

Is there anyone out there who is struggling with food sensitivities. It is so frustrating because it makes me retain water and look puffy when I'm not even fat. I am at the end of my rope and wondered if anyone has successfully overcome their sensitivies?

I guess I should get tested so I know what foods I react to because just when I think I'm doing great - I lose like 15lbs in 2 weeks, then I eat something, have a reaction and I'm a marsmallow again. I'm 5'7" ~ 125 pounds, but I think I would be 120 lbs right now if I wasn't holding water. HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

When you say you "eat something", do you mean a 'something' with sugar or flour or starch or potatoes in it? If so, then your body will retain water. That's what carbs do: they make each cell of your body hold onto some water and there will also be water in the intestines. That's why many people lose a lot in the Induction period or first weeks when they cut out those "bad" carbs.

I see that you are at 125 pounds, aiming for 120 pounds. That is awfully and amazingly close to your goal. You should not expect to lose those five pounds quickly and maybe that is too low a goal anyway and your body is trying to tell you that. The rule of thumb for height/weight relation is: 100 pounds for the first 5 feet of height and 5 pounds for every inch over that. For 5'7", the total would be 100 + (7 x 5 or 35) = 135 pounds as ideal. And you are under that now. I know a 23 year old who is 5'9" and weighs 170 and she is a size 12 and beautifully slim.

You say that you 'lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks". I hope that is not recently because that means you must be eating in a way to gain about 10 pounds quickly, then losing it again. That would be called "yo-yo dieting' and it isn't good for any body - even one as close to goal as you are.

A food sensitivity would take many months of avoiding the food to reduce the sensitivity, and it might not work anyway. It is fairly easy to check out your own sensitivities by going to a very simple, plain diet for a few days, then gradually reintroducing a SMALL amount of one food you think might be a bother to you.

The most common foods to cause problems include: milk, wheat, eggs, corn, yeast and a few others I can't remember right now. So you could try eliminating those and then try a bit of one of them after a few days.

I hope this helps. I am sure other people will drop in with more advice.

#3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 09:42

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Muscle Weight

One more thing, Bambigirl. One of the first benefits you get from LCing is increased lean body mass-- even if you don't work out. That's becaue your body finally has the nutrients (protein and fat) it needs to build itself up.

You may never get to your goal weight because your body may be replacing what little fat you have with muscle and bone.

You need to concentrate on how you look, especially when you are so close to your goal. Many people have to adjust their goal weights when they get close because of their changed body composition.

;-Deb
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 11:13

Plan: atkins / paleo
Stats: 130/125/120
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks for the advice girls - I will give it a try and let you all know if I have success!! Have a great Labor Day weekend!!

Bambigirl
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 12:37

Plan: MEAT AND LOTS OF GREEN VE
Stats: 292.7/280/180 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 11%

Bambigirl,

Food sensitivity can be determined in as little as two weeks. It does not take months...you can follow your eating plan and completely avoid WHEAT PRODUCTS, DAIRY & NUTS. For more info, pick up a copy of THE FALSE FAT DIET by Dr Haas...it will explain everything.

If you do have a sensitivity, you can stay away from the "culprit"
for a month to six weeks and then reintroduce it back into your
eating. You will know for sure at this time.
Pick up the book...it's a good read.

GAP