Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 15:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 329/286/225
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Diabetes and Atkins

Hello all, Just a quick question.Is it bad for a diabetic person to do a low card diet like Adkins.I believe ketosis is considered a bad thing in the diabetic world can anyone share what knowledge thay have with me? Thanx Slotiper
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 15:35
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Welcome!

I'm sure a moderator will come along in a minute with a link but the ketosis from low carbing is not the same ketosis as when a diabetic is spilling sugar into their urine. Look over to the right for the link "low carbohydrate diet helps diabetics. Many diabetics here control their glucose levels and are off all meds from this diet.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 16:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Slotiper,

Diabetics need to avoid ketoacidosis, which is quite different from ketosis.

This thread explains the difference.

Slotiper, are you insulin dependent? If you are you should only follow this eating plan under the guidance of your doctor. Reread the sections of the book where Dr Atkins specifically mentions diabetes.

I would also strongly recommend you read Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He is a diabetic himself and his low carb plan is written specifically for diabetics.

We have quite a few diabetics here, including LisaN, another mentor, who is losing weight very well indeed.

All the best to you!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 19:02

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Did someone mention my name?

Hi SLOTIPER!

Yes, I'm a diabetic (type 2) and have had nothing but wonderful results with low carbing and would highly recommend it for any diabetic. I followed the recommended diabetic diet for almost 8 years and eventually had to be put on oral medication because my weight kept climbing and my blood sugars got out of control. Since I began low carbing, my weight has dropped (although very slowly at times) and I no longer need medications to keep my blood sugars at normal levels again. I've been low carbing for 18 months now and have never been healthier.
Dietary ketosis is quite different from diabetic ketoacidosis. Many people, including doctors, confuse the two which is really a shame because the first is completely harmless while the second can be deadly if not treated immediately.
Rosebud is right, though. Even if you aren't insulin dependent you should do this under the guidance of your doctor as your medication requirements will certainly need to be adjusted.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 19:07

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 329/286/225
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thanx so much for the feedback.i am type 2 non insulin dependant.I know very little about diabetes in general.Is there somewher I can go to find out a lil bit more about diabetes my Dr is sending me to a dietician/diebetes counselor but the soonest I can get in is the 14th of Nov. so im just kinda hanging here not knowing whats going on. also any idea what the typical readings should be on the glucometer I think mine is always low since i started the low carb Thanx again Ryan
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 19:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ryan...

If you want to know more about diabetes, I'd highly recommend that you go to your local bookstore or library and get your hands on Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution by Richard K. Bernstein. He does a very good job of explaining diabetes and how low carbing is the best way there is to control it and in many cases, prevent the complications that can come with it.
The Schwarzbein Principle might be another good book for you to get hold of and read as well.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Yes...do get Dr. Bernstein's book. My daughter is type 2. Blood sugar was over 600 when diagnosed. She got his book and now keeps her sugars in the normal range with just low-carbing and minimal exercise.

She was sent to a dietician too, who told her to eat WAY too many carbs....as most dieticians will do. They have been trained to believe that we need carbs.

Funny thing....eskimos don't eat hardly any carbs and some of them farther north, don't eat any all winter long and the rate of diabetes there is almost non-existant.

Getting and reading Dr. Bernstein's book is the best gift you will ever give yourself. I would suggest you read this before you go to the dietician and get brainwashed and do yourself more harm than good.

The diabetes epidemic in the US began when the low-fat, high-carb way of eating and the food pyramid came into being. BTW, the food pyramid was "invented" by the grain industry, et.al.

Paris