Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 02:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Low-carb Total cereal in trouble

Bloomberg News
30 June, 2004

General Mills Inc., the second-largest U.S. cereal maker, may pull low-carbohydrate Total Protein cereal from supermarkets because it's losing sales to newer products such as Kellogg Company's Special K Low Carb, analysts said.

Discontinuing Total Protein, introduced in February, may cost Golden Valley-based General Mills more than $20 million, George Askew, a Baltimore-based Legg Mason Inc. analyst, wrote in a report. General Mills also may position the cereal as a "health-oriented brand" and narrow distribution to fewer retailers, Askew wrote.

Foodmakers such as General Mills, Kellogg and Kraft Foods Inc. are debuting products with fewer carbohydrates to attract health-conscious shoppers even as demand may be peaking, analysts and investors said. The increasing range of products is squeezing sales of Total Protein, which has half the U.S. market share of Kellogg's Special K Low Carb.

"If the craze has faded and they aren't able to make money on it, they may withdraw it," said Nancy Crouse, who helps manage $100 billion, including about 2.2 million General Mills shares, at Delaware Investments in Philadelphia. She predicted that General Mills will give Total Protein a year to gain consumer loyalty before making a decision.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/4853387.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 14:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Has it occured to those "idiots" that making carbage "lower carb" will not sell it to LCers? I can't imagine that a grain cereal would be what WE'd call 'low carb'. And it's just crispy air anyway. Bring on the steak!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 14:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Or perhaps it just tastes like crap and is expensive crap to boot?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 14:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Well...the Total Low Carb is no higher in carbs than the better selling Special K low carb (9 grams per serving). There are some differences, though. The Special K does not have partially hydrogenated oils in it (Total does) and the Total also has nuts in it (something that my DH is violently allergic to) while the Special K does not. I don't eat this cereal, but my DH who is low carbing at a higher level than I do loves the low carb Special K. Not that this is saying much because breakfast cereal is ungodly expensive when you look at the cost on a per ounce/pound basis, but the low carb versions of Total and Special K don't cost any more than their high carb counterparts and are often on sale.
I might be more tempted to buy the low carb Total for my DH and kids if it didn't contain partially hydrogenated oils and nuts but until they at least leave out the transfats, it's going to stay out of my shopping cart.
BTW, Post has also come out with a low carb cereal (2 flavors) and cereal bars, all of which contain partially hydrogenated oils. They just don't get it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 16:58
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have had the total protein before. It doesnt contain any partially hydrogenated oils. I just double checked...

Quote:
INGREDIENTS: WHEAT GLUTEN, WHOLE WHEAT, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WHEAT BRAN, CANOLA OIL, CHICORY ROOT EXTRACT, SUGAR, WHEAT FLOUR, ALMOND PIECES, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE, MALTITOL SYRUP, HONEY, VITAMIN C (SODIUM ASCORBATE), TRISODIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, BROWN SUGAR SYRUP, ZINC AND IRON (MINERAL NUTRIENTS), VITAMIN E (TOCOPHERYL ACETATE), SUCRALOSE, A B VITAMIN (NIACINAMIDE), A B VITAMIN (CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE), VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN), VITAMIN B1 (THIAMIN MONONITRATE), A B VITAMIN (FOLIC ACID), VITAMIN A (PALMITATE), VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D. FRESHNESS PRESERVED BY BHT, BHA AND TBHQ. CONTAINS MILK, ALMOND, WHEAT AND WALNUT INGREDIENTS.

It has nuts and all kinds of sugars. I would prefer it over the special k because I prefer wheat gluten over soy personally, but I am not in a hurry to be eating either of these.

My baby brother and sister both really loved the cereal and I think its better for them than the reeses puffs that they normally eat.

I would be happier with the total protein if they cut out some of those added sugars and maltitol junk.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 17:30

Plan: Atkins,SB,GI now!
Stats: 217/206/150 Female 5'4''
BF:i/cant/count
Progress: 16%

Total Protein has 8 net carbs. I think it was the most disgusting low-carb frakenfood that ever touched my lips!! It's still in my pantry. I absolutely refuse to eat it. But at least it has 13 grams of protein and it's much healthier than Cheerios or Lucky Charms.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 22:18
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finestof07
Total Protein has 8 net carbs. I think it was the most disgusting low-carb frakenfood that ever touched my lips!! It's still in my pantry. I absolutely refuse to eat it. But at least it has 13 grams of protein and it's much healthier than Cheerios or Lucky Charms.

Rather than let it go to waste, you could crush it up, and use it as the bulk portion of a meatloaf... just a suggestion.. lol..

frankly, I enjoyed it. I added a little cinnamon to the cereal with my lc dairy, and voila.. it was delightful.

that was back in March I think..when I first began to reintroduce some different foods back into my life.. so maybe it was the "omgcereal' factor, rather than, it REALLY is good.. I will have to try it again and see..
Dawn
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 19:16

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

hmmm.... I'd like to see LC Lucky Charms, or Count Chocula, or something.

I never ate cereal for breakfast anyway, why start now?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 20:04
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
hmmm.... I'd like to see LC Lucky Charms, or Count Chocula, or something.

You kidding lmao? General Mills would be filing for bankruptcy in a week if that ever happened. Everyone would be screaming on how we would be targeting children for low carb diets and trying to poison and damage our kids!

Funny you dont really hear that when you think about the sugar and trans fats in those cereals now though.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 21:27
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

My 2 cents is the Total tastes like crap, more like the Atkins "cereal" and the Special K tastes like CEREAL.. It could explain a lot!

No offense to people who LIKE the Atkins cereal or anything, but to me, the Toal and Atkins have a "cement factor" that makes chewing a chore. The Special K has a texture exactly like regular wheat flakes.

They'll either sell or they won't, but I have to disagree with them being idiots for making carbage low-carb. If I want a bowl of cereal, better 9 net carbs than 30, and the Special K actually sticks with me all morning, where regular cereal leaves me hungry sooner. When it's time to add in grains, I feel they are a good choice.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 00:06
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Eh, I really like the Atkins cereals . Yum.

I like the taste of soy over the taste of most grain based flours believe it or not. I was a big fan of Special K before atkins though (it was so light and yummy), so I might check this out.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 00:16

Plan: none atm. bfl mostly
Stats: 128/115/103 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 52%

considering those who do not have any viable options for lc cereal whatsoever..............i still think that you guys over there are still pretty lucky!

cheers

Last edited by dazzlin182 : Thu, Jul-01-04 at 00:22.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 08:06
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Woo-- that could be it. I hate the taste of soy.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I like hot cereal better and love the Minicarb milk chocolate hot flax cereal. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 12:56

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

My favorite is flax seed meal cooked into hot cereal. Having said that, though, this week I found a coupon in our newspaper for $1.00 off of two boxes of Total cereals. When I got to the store I looked at the regular Total (thought about buying it for the little guy) and decided to pass. Then I saw the Total Protein and checked it out. I bought two boxes for my teenage daughters, as they're basically on Atkins pre-maintenance instead of the heavier OWL restrictions. Since we're out of eggs and I wanted something in a hurry this morning I tried a little bit of it with strawberries and half-and-half. I really liked it.

I think overall the price is too high ($1.98 sale price for 12-oz. box) but the coupon made it affordable.

Also, keep in mind the way the girls eat cereal is as a side dish to their regular more proteineous breakfast. This is the only way it can be done around here because keeping blood sugar in check is number one importance, and a bowl of cereal alone doesn't do that.

I haven't tried the Special K yet, and probably won't, because I think soy could be very harmful to the kids.