Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 22:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/220/199
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Protein powder causing stalls?

I have a funny feeling that my protein powder is slowing down or even stopping my weight loss. I work out doing cardio and resistance training almost every day and am really struggling dropping any more weight. I have been drinking between 2 and 4 servings per day mostly after my workout. Each serving has 6 carb grams and 20 grams of protein. I don't know, maybe it is just the extra carbs, but I did hear from Mr. Muscle at my club that protein powder will slow down your metabolism. I am sure I am eating all the right foods and I keep my carbs between 20 to 40 grams approximately per day. Even if I have a few too many carbs, with working out so faithfully and burning 400 to 800 calories just in cardio, I can't believe my weight loss can stall so easily. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 07:25

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

Troubleshooting a stall or slow-down is hard work. There are so many things that can cause them! Could it be that you're just gaining muscle? Are you eating enough calories to support your active metabolism? Are you drinking enough water? I've never had a stall or slowed weight loss due to my one protein shake in the morning but it does vary with each person. The only way to know for sure is to cut out the shake for a week or two and see if that helps. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:17
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

...at 6 g of carbs tomes 2 to 4 servings, my carb allotment for the whole DAY would be pretty much blown... is there a lower-carb one you can use? When I use shakes for any reason, I generally stick to the EAS or Atkins pre-made, or Carb Solutions powders. All of them are high-protein and not a one of them is over 2g of carbs a serving.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 15:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I use a 2 carb powder mix. If you are working out 5 times a week you are adding in muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. I suggest you start taking measurements to see if your loosing inches. When I started working out My weight loss stopped dead!!! I would go a few weeks and whoosh i'd loose. I cant wait to get back to the gym and will be happy to quit loosing if I could be adding muscle. 10 more lbs and I am gym bound everyday.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 16:23

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I use IsoPure which the vanilla flavor has 0g carbs, and the chocolate has 1g carbs. I get mine in a local shop ($37.00), but it here is one online place...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/220/199
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to drop it out of my diet for a while and see what happens. I like the taste of this powder so much more than the others I have tried and would have a hard time trying something different with less carbs. I think with the mild resistance training I was doing and the heavy amount of protein powder I was consuming, I just can't justify needing that much anymore. If your muscles don't need that much protein, could it just be turning into excess calories and carbs? Whatever the case, it can't hurt to give it a shot. I am also going to stop the lifting for a while and increase my cardio. At this point, I don't care if I lose a little muscle as long as I can decrease in overall size and weight. It will be much easier for me to increase my strength after I have gotten rid of the excess fat. I know this isn't what the experts recommend, but I have tried the combination of weights and cardio, and I'm not succeeding at either.