Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 00:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/240/150 Female 5'4"
BF:start- 55%
Progress: 10%
Default Please Help Me!!!!!!!!!

Hi! I’m new to this, so please bear with me. I have been on the Atkin’s diet since May 1st and have only lost 19lbs. I am 5’4” and weigh well over 200lbs. I have not adhered to the diet 100% by any means, but it still seems like it is taking FOREVER to loose any weight. Lately, I have been getting very discouraged because of the limited choices I have. First, I am not too fond of many vegetables. I like cauliflower, broccoli, celery, and lettuce. That’s pretty much it as far as vegis and salads go. I am single and live alone. I tend not to buy vegis very often because a whole head of lettuce or cauliflower will just go bad before I get a chance to eat it all. I am a returning college student on a tight budget and tend not to cook regular “meals” for myself. My meals and snakes have consisted of tuna fish, hot dogs, low carb bars, diet soda, crystal light, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chicken wings with blue cheese dressing, lettuce, fast food cheeseburgers without the bread, sugar free jello and cheese cubes. Now I see that mayonnaise, cheese, nuts, diet soda AND low carb bars can be contributing to my inability to loose more weight. SO WHAT’S LEFT TO EAT?? I can’t really afford the proper supplements right now. I have been exercising daily, but that still doesn’t seem to help me. According to Atkins, I also have to watch my caloric intake- keeping it at around 1000 calories/day. (my metabolism really is slow!) I am currently going through the whole withdrawal symptoms after a weekend binge. I’m not sure if my headaches and lethargy is due to the lack of caffeine or sugar. PLEASE, CAN ANYONE OFFER ME ANY ADVICE????? I HATE BEING SOO OVERWEIGHT BUT I’M FEELING SO LIMITED AND DISCOURAGED!(P.S. Sorry this is sooo long!!)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 03:44
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Irish,

I'm sorry you are feeling so discouraged. But to put things into perspective, you have lost 19lbs in 15 weeks. That's an excellent rate of losing. If you lose at a much faster rate, statistics show you are way less likely to keep the weight off. So well done, keep up the good work!

Where on earth did you get the idea that you have to eat only 1000 cals/day? That's certainly not mentioned in Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution! If you don't have the latest Atkins book, check his website at www.atkinscenter.com for more info.
He says to eat until satisfied. On this site, it is suggested that you eat a minimum of 10 to 12 times your bodyweight. So, eat!

"What's left to eat" is fresh meat (you don't need to buy expensive cuts) and vegies. Are you putting plenty of butter on your vegies? Improves the taste enormously.

How about starting a journal here? It's a good way to track your food - also a good way to make friends who will drop to encourage you.

Cheers, matey.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 05:35
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

You can also get premade salads. You can get fast food salads too. The local supermarket will often have a premade garden or chef salad available, some even have salad bars where you pay by the pound of what you like. It seems to me that Romaine lettace lasts longer than iceburg and is less prone to going bad on you. You can get little cans of string beans or spinich and eat them at room temperature or put them in a bowl and microwave them with butter. Buy a bag of frozen broccoil and use as needed. You can get a package of premade hamburger patties (get the kind that are 100% beef, I get a pack of 20 for 9.99, or about 50 cents a burger) Wampler's make turkey and chicken hot dogs with no sugar and no starch.

You're going to have to cook at least once in a while to make this successful, but you can do all your cooking at once and have leftovers stored in the fridge. How about a big pack of chicken breasts or chicken drumsticks? Cook them all up at once and there is stuff to grab sitting in the fridge.

Don't forget hard boiled eggs, they're cheap and easy to keep on hand, throw a few into a salad, made egg mayo mix, eat as a snack etc.

Probably the first things to dump are the low carb bars and the aspertame. That should make a difference. Just drink water...if you make yourself do it, in no time you'll be used to it.

After a weekend binge, your system has to clean itself out all over again. Write down how it makes you feel, what your symptoms are and how strong they are. This will help you remember the next time you are tempted to go totally off the program.

Also, don't count the calories...it's a trap. Eat at least 3 meals a day with a good amount of protein at eat meal, get in veggies at least at two of the meals, drink your water and keep your food choices as natural as possible. If you are hungry, eat! This is not a low calorie diet, and doing it as one just makes it harder. This is an easy way to eat once you get used to it, and is much healthier than low fat!

Hope some of this is helpful.

Elihnig
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins type
Stats: 210/205/130
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default i agree with fellow posters...

Dear irishjam,

don't be discouraged...the right way to lose weight is slowly...there is a good chance if you lose slowly the weight stays off.
i've resigned myself to not weigh myself but once a week maybe.
as a rule, it probably took time putting on the weight...so it will come off slowly.
unfortunately, women have a tendency to have fat 'built' on right from birth and it's with us till the end.
my husband can lose weight, 30lbs in a month just by cutting back; but alas, that is not my story. i didn't eat enough! i would skip meals which is the worst you can do!
i understand you are on a 'budget' and it can make things harder. the only advice i can give you stick to your meats, meatloaf, cheeseburgers/hamburgers--different variations, different cheeses, toppings etc., chicken is fairly economical...
hang in there!!

take care & good luck
pastafool
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 07:04
Registered Member

Stats: 303/303/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi, I do not know about your college, but the one I attend has a very nice salad bar and a grill. I can go get two cheeseburgers no bread and make a nice salad all for the price of one student meal. You should probably check this out and see what type of meal plans your college offers and if it is in the cost of tuition. Also they probably offer breakfast too like eggs and bacon. I would very strongly consider looking into those alternatives.

Babybear