Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 13:15

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Protein Breakfast Bars to Go

I have been so tired of all the sugar-alcohol filled protein bars on the market that seem to just stall my progress, and make my stomach upset. So I decided to do a little research and make my own. I modified this a little from 500 Low Carb Recipes by Dana Carpenter. She uses peanut butter. My recipe has many goodies in it and uses almond butter which is a lower carb nut than peanuts. I did the stats on this using MY PLAN and the carb count is about 7 carbs per bar, but I know their count is wrong because it did not have the correct fiber count for the almond butter or coconut flakes. I figure it is about 5 or 6 carbs per bar at most because there is at least 2 grams of fiber in each bar. It is high in good fats, but if you do not want to use full fat cream cheese, use low fat cream cheese or yogurt cheese instead. The carb count will be higher though. This bar with a cup of low carb milk or juice from Hood lasts me all morning. I hope you enjoy it.

Protein Breakfast Bars

1/4 cup butter (melted)
1/2 cup almond butter (make sure it has no sugar)
4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
1 1/2 cups vanilla whey protein powder (1 carb or less a scoop variety)
1 tablespoons vanilla
2 tablespoons Splenda or other sweetner
2 ounces coconut flakes (unsweetened)
2 ounces low carb chocolate candy pieces (I use "At Last" because they are just like MnM's and are not made with sugar subsitutes that upset my stomach)

Mix everything except chocolate pieces into a large bowl very well until a dough forms ( I use a wooden spoon to mix because its a bit stiff), then add chocolate pieces at the end and mix again. Press into a square pan and freeze for 15 minutes. Cut into 9 equal pieces and wrap each in wax paper then store in large freezer bag.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 00:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/216.5/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Wow I can't wait to try these!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 19:05

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I've never heard of "At Last." Where do you find this product?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 19:25

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

Sounds good and no cooking! Me, too, where do you find "At Last"?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 22:46
Registered Member

Plan: Supercharged Low Carb
Stats: 340/150/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Yay! A new protien bar recipe!! Thank you! I search the net all the time for new low carb protein bars. I can't wait to try this one, it seems extra yummy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 06:10
Stay in the ZONE!!

Plan: atkins/mine
Stats: 253.5/253.5/200 Female 5'2"
BF:Losing It!
Progress: 0%

This sounds really good. A question where do you find almond butter and where do you find the at last candy? Thanks in advance!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 09:17

Stats: 304/239.5/160 Female 68 inches
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 45%

hmmm.. this was originally post in aug 2005.. she is from southern california.. as I am.. I wonder if she gets her stuff from Trader Joes??.. I am headed there this week-end.. I can report back and let you know if they have the sf m&m's there. I know they carry almond butter, and natural p/nut butter.. all kinds of nut butters. Now if I can remember 'at last' when I get there!.
dianna
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 00:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

"at last" were the first chocolate bars and candys made with Erythritol instead of Maltitol or Lactitol, and there's MUCH less tummy distress with them.

Carbolite/Carborite product.

Try www.CarboLiteDirect.com to find out if they're still making them (many places stopped making LC stuff after the media declared "low carb dead" and sales dropped... sometimes you can find LC stuff at other places, though.

www.Netrition.com carries MiniCarb bars without maltitol...I'd try those; unless of course you don't care about maltitol or can handle it. I avoid it like the plague!