Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 15:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 107/101/90 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Atkins New Bee

Whats up!

Hows life at the other end?

Just started the Atkins diet... 2 months ago.

Lost a couple of lbs... but have huge cravings for chocolates and whipped cream... especially at night... thus, gaining those lbs back.

Is this common or am I the only one?

How do I fight this battle with sugar?

mmm.... chocolates...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 16:00
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Ok I can't help but ask why in the world do you want to weigh 90 pounds?

Isn't that a bit drastic? Or did you just punch any old numbers in there?

Now on your ?.....yes it's common everyone wants sinful foods every now and then. However, if you have been sticking to the plan, without cheating, your carb cravings should have been long gone by now.

Good luck,

Lily
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 20:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Go through a clean induction. That means no Lc bars, shakes, and nothing sweet. You might be amazed at how much the cravings clear up.

Since you don't have that much to lose, Atkins for life may be a good choice fo ryou. It is much more liberal in what it allows. Also you might want ot get your body fat checked. If you are trying to drop below what is healthy, then your body will ersist you every step of the way. Knowing your lean mass though can give you a good idea of where you want to go. Adding exercise and strength traiing can increase lean mass and overall weight, but is what it would take to achieve a tight toned look. It also helps to raise your metabolism and burn off extra carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 20:49

Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed

Lost a couple of lbs... but have huge cravings for chocolates and whipped cream...

My answer is EAT the chocolates and whipped cream!!! You don't need to weigh 90 pounds! That is just out of hand!
Have a nice day!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 17:20

BF:
Progress:
Question sugar slave

hey, this diet was not my choice. Doc recommended it.

Crazy cholesterol is through the roof... and I have to lose it or die of a blocked artery. Atkins in the only thing that seems to be working. Its decreasing... but my sugar cravings is not giving up without a fight.

Finished huge can of whipped cream yesterday. Brought two more today. What to do, what to do?

The weight thing... hmm... I gained 15 lbs in two months... by eating tons of delicious pasta, chips and dips and all that heveanly stuff. I'm a swimmer and a gymnast... so, a few lbs off would do me good.

I wish I can live like Homer simpson, eat all I want and everything I want all day.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 17:21

BF:
Progress:
Question

By the way,

to all those that replied back... how did you gain weight...? stress, foods, etc?

just curious
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 17:56

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Tumbleweed, those numbers under you name are KG ?? What height are you ?

90 US-Pounds (not metric pounds) are 40.8 kg. To make this a healthy weight, you would have to be about 130cm or less.....

your current number is 101 pounds. Even as metric pounds this looks like a good weight (50.5kg), if you are the same height as me, but a lot younger, you could probably lose about 3kg, if you really want.

I really can't believe any doctor wants you to lose any more weight. You sure he didn't say put on weight ???

Unless those numbers are kg. Then I completly understand. 101kg is 222 US/UK-Pounds and 90kg is 200 US/UK pounds.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 18:02

BF:

Just clicked on your profile. You are 5'0 (1.52m) ?

Assuming those numbers are really pounds, I can understand that you want to lose a bit of weight, but I do not believe that your doctor told you that you are seriously overweight. Maybe you should look into the maintenance plan ? Or a new Doctor ? (preferably one who hasn't been appointed by Kate Moss....)

Ah, sorry, just read through your post. You are a gymnast....

Now i understand. The diet will work for your cholesterol count, but only if you stick to it to the letter. No more cheats, get the low-fat/low-calorie thinking out of your head (even though it may have been drummed into it since you were a kid). No skipping meals ! One lettuce leaf is not a meal !

You probably have a lot of muscle weight, so don't compare yourself to other people by weight, use clothes sizes instead. My best friend was a Gymnast and she was told she was too fat when she didn't fit into size 4-6 (UK Size!) anymore. Swimming gives you broad shoulders which can skew Body Fat measurements in some online tables. Don't worry about that too much. You said your doc said your cholesterol was too high. What was the ratio though of good/bad ?

Last edited by madpiano : Sun, Mar-14-04 at 18:10.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 18:18

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

Are you all forgetting one thing?
how many carbs are in a HUGE can of whipping cream?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 18:48

BF:

Quote:
Are you all forgetting one thing?
how many carbs are in a HUGE can of whipping cream?

That depends on where you are...here in the UK they are all the same size and I assume they have about 7carbs per can. That is the sugar free version. These can's are only about half full of actual cream, the rest is the stuff which makes them fluffy. I never checked as it is cheaper to whip my own.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 18:55

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

where I live all cans of whipped cream have sugar in them
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 20:27

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I am not sure if it goes for just anyone but I was told while pregnant that if I am craving sugars it could really mean that my body is craving protein. So maybe eat a slice of meat, a hard boiled egg or something similar in the evening before the cravings hit will get you over the hump. If you get hungry around the same time every evening for your chocolates and whipped cream then plan your snack thirty minutes to an hour before that time comes. Anyways, goodluck on getting that cholesterol down.

Jenn
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 04:51
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpiano

Assuming those numbers are really pounds, I can understand that you want to lose a bit of weight, but I do not believe that your doctor told you that you are seriously overweight. Maybe you should look into the maintenance plan ? Or a new Doctor ? (preferably one who hasn't been appointed by Kate Moss....)

I'd get a new doctor. He can give you meds for that you don't need to lose weight.

Your gonna make yourself sick.

Lily.......my opinion anyways.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:10

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

First off, kudos for the intelligent doc for reccomending Atkins to lower cholesterol. My advice is to purchase the book Protein Power or go to the Protein Power forum. There, you will find a definition for glucagon. Balanced insulin/glucagon and sugar levels is what contributes to lower or balanced lipids. Understand the functions of these 2 hormones to understnad why this diet will lower your cholesterol.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 11:57

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

trolls are short..

So find out more from your doctor on what is going to help with LDL numbers.
Try flaxseed not whipping cream.

Last edited by bevbme : Mon, Mar-15-04 at 12:28.