Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 18:49

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I feel like low carbing is keeping me sane

Hi there,
I thought I posted this on the General LC board but I couldn't find it so I decided to post it here because it made more sense.

I'm in grad school (studying to be a therapist) and trying to get into a PhD program in Literature for next year, among other things. I'm also doing a clinical internship which adds to the pressure of this year. Since the year started (Sept) I've been spiraling into a wave of stress and it's been piling on. A few weeks ago I had a pretty traumatic incident on the street (don't want to go into details - but I was attacked but not hurt) which is of course the last thing I needed. Since then I've been dealing with signs of depression - I've lost interest in most of what I do now and feel like everything is a huge effort. Luckily, I'm working with a therapist because my school requires it (in fact, I was literally on my way to my therapist's office when the incident happened) so I'm working through it.

Coincidentally, I started back on low-carbing (I've been on and off since Jan 2002) the week I was attacked and I can truely say, if I hadn't, I would be a total basket case emotionally. I believe in the connection between the body and the mind/spirit/emotions and I know my body would be giving me havock on my emotions if I were eating regular carbs. I'm also a compulsive eater so I could have easily swung into garbage mode and just eaten everything in sight, which would have made me feel more depressed.

I know that some doctors have even prescribed low carb diets to their depressed patients and now I know why. I believe it's a matter of time that I'll get through this and I know I'm committed to eating LC which will help me on that road.

Just wanted to post this. I'd love to hear from people who feel like the LC WOL has affected them mentally and emotionally for the better, especially with anxiety and depression.

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 16:37

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Attacked but not hurt?

Maybe, "attacked but not physically injured so badly I needed medical treatment?"

You were hurt.

I noticed this post the other time and didn't have a good opportunity to reply. I know that LC had made a world of difference in how I function in the world--from giving me time back because I'm not eating all the time, to giving me a sense of control because I don't have that constant "I'm a failure" feeling from overeating when I didn't really want to.

Promised myself I'd try it for a year. Live into a new way of thinking and see what rubs off as I experience the freedom.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:17
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Tammay, what a frightening experience, Hope your doing better,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay
Just wanted to post this. I'd love to hear from people who feel like the LC WOL has affected them mentally and emotionally for the better, especially with anxiety and depression.
Tam

I have to say that I am one of those people. For so many years I was looking for things to make me feel better, I felt sad/depressed and didn't know why, I had tried St. Johns Wort and ld bcp's thinking it was hormonal, and after a few weeks of lo carbing, those feeling went away! I take nothing now. I was looking to loose weight and had no idea that lc'ing would make me feel so much better mentally and physically Taking off the weight slowly is fine, but the added bonus of just plain feeling good is worth the whole thing!

Take care of yourself.......