Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 14:31

Plan: Restarted LC 8/23/06
Stats: 254/208/175 Female 5'8"
BF: Moo
Progress: 58%
Default Oof. No Wonder I'm Sore...

I did my first upper body w/o yesterday and thinking I was Ms. Macha b/c I'd already been lifting some, here's what I did:

Dumbell Bench Press
12 reps - 20 lbs (each arm)
10 reps - 25
8 reps - 30
6 reps- 35
High point:
12 reps- 30
12 reps - 20 (Flyes)

It went on like that with the rest of the w/o and by the end I was wiped out...I took "pushing" myself a bit too seriously I think. By the end I hit total failure on biceps around rep 4 on the standing barbell curl to finish the hight point. Ouchies. MORE glutamine! Hopefully I will be recovered enough to do UBWO again on Thursday.

That's my one complaint with the BFL book. He doesn't give samples for BEGINNERS. I would have loved to have something that said, women should begin with X and see how the first WOs go. With weights, I don't really have a concept of level 5 vs. 7 yet. I'll get there.

Live and learn...but for any womenfolk out there starting, I don't think the above sample weights would be recommended, even if you are already working out. The super sets are very challenging and I've now learned to start lighter. It just feels weird to me to use such light weights in the beginning of the set.

I think once I get the hang of this, I'll start posting my workouts so people can follow. Nat has done a GREAT job with posting her stuff and it's very inspiring.

Rock on, folks,
soregoat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 15:18
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoat
It just feels weird to me to use such light weights in the beginning of the set.

soregoat

Hey badgoat, that is one serious workout. Way to jump in there with all you've got. It does take some time to get the hang of what weights to start with.

I use the lighter weights at intensity 5 to work on form. I concentrate on doing every single rep with perfect (or as close as I can get to perfect) form. I try to do them with the same intensity that I use for the higher weights. This will help to make the use of good form automatic at higher weights.

Way to workout,
Arnie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 15:37
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi badgoat:

Quote:
It just feels weird to me to use such light weights in the beginning of the set.

I soooo hear ya! I was joking in my journal that I was going to go to the fitness store "in disguise" to get some of those 3 pound hand weights. I felt like a sissy, but they get the job done.

Hope you aren't too stiff tomorrow.

Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 17:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoat
Hey sore one, if you've never lifted to failure before then even the lighter weights will bring you pain. I fear you're going to be in a bad way tomorrow - stretch as much as you can, gently of course, double up on the glutamine, you may even need some ibuprophen (not usually recommended as it interferes with the healing process, but pain is pain).

Those first few sets are supposed to be warm ups - feels weird, I agree. This is when you focus on your form and learn those moves inside and out.

That was some serious poundage you moved - I can't imagine what 12 weeks is going to do for your strength Wow!

-Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Say it with me, Glutamine, it is our friend

I did my first upper body workout today too. I found on some things I underestimated and could of gone much more. On a ocuple of exercises though I got about 9 reps into the 12 and had to drop my weight down to the previous level to finish the last couple reps.

What helped was before starting BFL I went to the gym with a list of the exercises I wanted to try and just kind of held the weights and found about what the max I could do each exercise with. I then backed it down just a bit becaus eI knew after all the other reps I probably couldn't finish with 12 at max.

It also helps to relize that when the machine says 2-4-6-8 it really means 20-40-60 ect :P My back did not like me for trying to row starting at 50.

This was the first time I felt sore immidietly after a workout, it wasn't hitting me until the next day. It could be because on Sunday I worked on raiseing carbs just a little, and made sure to have a small meal about 1/2 hour before going to the gym today. Last week I was doing induction again and went to gym on empty stomach. I'll take more glutamine before bed, lets hope it works Carrying around a huge backpack all day with already sore chest and shoulders is not fun.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:22
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Badgoat, you must be pretty strong! Like Nat said make use of that L-Glutamine. Hope you don't feel too stiff tomorrow.

Peace
red
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:34

Plan: Restarted LC 8/23/06
Stats: 254/208/175 Female 5'8"
BF: Moo
Progress: 58%

Reporting in to say I'm still alive. I did my HIIT tonight (ate 3 hrs before) and did very well, though not quite as intensely as on Sunday. Then I took the opportunity with warmed muscles to stretch. It felt good. I've said a prayer to the Recovery Fairy for good measure along with the Glutamine.

I live on a farm (have a "real" job, too) and I have good strength just from hauling hay bales and feed. A few years back, I had a good weight program going and I think my muscles have some "memory" of what I used to ask them to do. I never did supersets and after about 18 months I just got stuck and bored, moved away and never got re-started. 88 lbs later... I've lost 25 of them and I am very excited about this challenge. You guys are terrific and I'm learning so much from everyone.

Off to bed,
badgoat