Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #10   ^
Old Today, 07:02

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm sure some stop the drugs because of the side effects (or switch from Wegovy to Zepbound in the hopes of having fewer side effects).

But I think the main reason so many stop them is that insurance stops covering them - they have certain weight loss goals that patients need to meet in order to qualify for continued coverage.

If insurance cuts them off due to insufficient weight loss, they either quit the drug or pay for the $1,000+ monthly out of pocket. And how many people do you know who can afford to plunk that kind of money into a weight loss drug every month?

They're not learning new eating habits at all - they're allowed to eat whatever junk they can tolerate, and as much food as their stomach can tolerate on those drugs. There's no real thought involved, no real lesson involved other than "this food made me puke, so I can't eat it while I'm taking this drug"

There are some people that the drug starts to wear off the last day or two of the week before it's time to inject another dose, so with less of the drug in their system at that point, their appetite starts to return with a vengeance - that last day or two before the next injection they can end up with out of control eating.

I can understand someone who doesn't get that effect thinking that when they stop taking the drugs that they'll be able to continue to feel full on very small portions - but for those who experience the full blast return of appetite at the end of every single week on the drug, it's magical thinking when they convince themselves that they'll be able to keep the weight off without taking the drug for the rest of their life.

So when they go off the drugs, they're either eating much larger portions of the same junk they ate while taking the drugs, or straight back to all the foods they missed that they couldn't tolerate while on the drugs.

Either way, after months and months of semi-starvation calorie levels, they will be just as hungry as they were before the artificially induced calorie control. It's no wonder they regain so much weight.