Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-24, 04:32

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Groundbreaking Study Links Keto Diet to Reduced Memory Loss

Quote:
Groundbreaking Study Links Keto Diet to Reduced Memory Loss

UC Davis research indicates that a ketogenic diet could delay early Alzheimer’s symptoms in mice by boosting beta-hydroxybutyrate levels, improving memory and cognitive functions.

The ketogenic diet is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat, and moderate protein diet, which shifts the body’s metabolism from using glucose as the main fuel source to burning fat and producing ketones for energy. Previously, UC Davis researchers discovered that mice lived 13% longer on ketogenic diets.

In a new study, which follows up on their previous research, they found that a ketogenic diet significantly delays the early stages of Alzheimer’s-related memory loss in mice. This early memory loss is comparable to mild cognitive impairment in humans that precedes full-blown Alzheimer’s disease. Their findings were recently published in the Nature Group journal Communications Biology.

Key Findings on Alzheimer’s and Ketogenesis

The researchers found that the molecule beta-hydroxybutyrate, or BHB, plays a pivotal role in preventing early memory decline. It increases almost sevenfold on the ketogenic diet.

“The data support the idea that the ketogenic diet in general, and BHB specifically, delays mild cognitive impairment and it may delay full blown Alzheimer’s disease,” said co-corresponding author Gino Cortopassi, a biochemist and pharmacologist with the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. “The data clearly don’t support the idea that this is eliminating Alzheimer’s disease entirely.”

Benefits of BHB in Cognitive Function

Scientists gave mice enough BHB to simulate the benefits of being on the keto diet for seven months.

“We observed amazing abilities of BHB to improve the function of synapses, small structures that connect all nerve cells in the brain. When nerve cells are better connected, the memory problems in mild cognitive impairment are improved,” said co-corresponding author Izumi Maezawa, professor of pathology at the UC Davis School of Medicine.

Cortopassi noted that BHB is also available as a supplement for humans. He said a BHB supplement could likely support memory in mice, but that hasn’t yet been shown.

Gender-Specific Responses and Future Research

Researchers found that the ketogenic diet mice exhibited significant increases in the biochemical pathways related to memory formation. The keto diet also seemed to benefit females more than males and resulted in higher levels of BHB in females.

“If these results translated to humans, that could be interesting since females, especially those bearing the ApoE4 gene variant, are at significantly higher risk for Alzheimer’s,” Cortopassi said.

The research team is optimistic about the potential impact on healthy aging and plans to delve further into the subject with future studies.

Reference: “Ketogenic diet and BHB rescue the fall of long-term potentiation in an Alzheimer’s mouse model and stimulates synaptic plasticity pathway enzymes” by Jacopo Di Lucente, Giuseppe Persico, Zeyu Zhou, Lee-Way Jin, Jon J. Ramsey, Jennifer M. Rutkowsky, Claire M. Montgomery, Alexey Tomilov, Kyoungmi Kim, Marco Giorgio, Izumi Maezawa and Gino A. Cortopassi, 16 February 2024, Communications Biology.
DOI: 10.1038/s42003-024-05860-z

Funding: The study was funded by the National Institute on Aging, a unit of the National Institutes of Health.

https://scitechdaily.com/groundbrea...ed-memory-loss/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-24, 09:05

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Well well well, we see the future of "plant-based." I hope.

Quote:
Scientists gave mice enough BHB to simulate the benefits of being on the keto diet for seven months.

And they became brilliant mice and escaped! One day, perhaps. Because ketosis is no joke. The benefits are amazing, and if people could experience the energy and mood-lifting effects, they would crave it more than the sawdusty "treats" I see at the local convenience store.

We have long recognized that the pyramid and statins kill off more retirements than they save. And I have an additional data point, since I've recently started Adderall (a type of ADHD medicine) on my doctor's suggestion.

I've been reluctant, but the science is there. The group of people who are happy with it are much larger than the people who have trouble. I'm only in my first week, but it does make a difference to my alertness, without interfering with my sleep. By letting synapses connect properly, it can also reduce anxiety.

I knew about my ADHD, but didn't think of treating it. Now that my other issues are calming down, my brain is healing, and I'm cautious about overworking myself.

But this energy feels real, not the at-gunpoint experience of coffee. Maybe it's the difference between caffeine/theobromine and a blend of amphetamine salts. The different brands have different proportions, and I suspect that -- like my dietary macros -- that needs to be customized for different kinds of brains.

One fascinating thing is how many people online share that when they got into ketosis, they were able to cut down on their dose, or take vacations from medication more easily. Since I'm getting good effects from half the dose he prescribed, I'll keep it that way for a couple of months, until my next checkup.

These amphetamine salts in the medication occur naturally in the brain. I used coffee as a stimulant, and now I wonder if it contributed to the collapse. Now that's it's back, it's mostly decaff.

But there are studies showing that people who use it responsibly as younger people can reach a point where they don't need the medication any more. That's fascinating. It's affecting brain plasticity in a positive manner.

Because cells can't get anything done right without cellular energy. This was what prompted our doctor, informed of DH's untreated ADHD, and prescribed it to him. All his systems started working better. So I'll try, too.

Because when stuff doesn't work right, it upsets our brain. And then -- trust me on this one -- nothing works.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-24, 20:00

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Or people can go back to eating butter, a good source of butyrate, from which the liver can make beta-hydroxybutyrate.