Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-24, 08:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Low-carb diets exceed nutrient needs and promote heart health

Quote:
Low-carb diets exceed nutrient needs and promote heart health by improving key dietary ratios

Discover how strategic low-carb meal plans not only meet your daily nutrient needs but also enhance heart health by optimizing vital fatty acid and sodium-potassium balances, challenging conventional dietary wisdom.

An article published in Frontiers in Nutrition provides a detailed overview of the nutritional adequacy of three low-carbohydrate diets with differing carbohydrate content.

Background

The popularity of low-carbohydrate diets is increasing sharply worldwide, especially among middle-aged women. Low-carbohydrate diets contain less than 130 grams of carbohydrates per day, or 10–25% of energy from carbohydrates. Similarly, very low-carbohydrate diets contain 20–50 grams of carbohydrate or less than 10% of carbohydrate-derived energy per day.

A large pool of studies has found that low-carbohydrate diets are clinically effective in treating various chronic metabolic diseases, including type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, obesity, and polycystic ovarian syndrome.

A disparity in the prevalence of cardiometabolic diseases has been observed among people belonging to historically marginalized racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds. As noted in the study, well-planned low-carbohydrate dietary plans can serve as an effective intervention to address such health inequity.

The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for total carbohydrates is 130 grams per day, estimated based on the average amount of glucose the brain utilizes daily. This standard has been a significant barrier to including low-carbohydrate diets in current dietary guidelines despite clinical evidence supporting their benefits.

In this study, scientists have estimated the macro- and micronutrient content of three 7-day low-carbohydrate diet plans to explore the nutritional adequacy of different forms of carbohydrate restriction.

Click here to read in full.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-24, 11:55

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The meals that they had selected by nutritionists are not something that I would prepare. There are too many ingredients and would take lots of preparation time. My meals are much simpler.
https://www.frontiersin.org/files/A...449109-t002.jpg
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-24, 13:49

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I understand them wanting to make sure there was a good variety of different foods, but good grief, most of the breakfasts were more complex than the recipes I use to make dinner!

The only good thing about this is that they're finally acknowledging that you can indeed get all necessary nutrients on a LC diet.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-24, 16:58

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I'm 25 net carbs a day, or I'll gain.

What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Or like my father used to say, “One man's meat is another man's poison.”

If you look at pictures of youth from the 50s, 60s and 70s, before the low fat/high carb diets, you will notice they are quite a bit slimmer than today's youth. That should tell you something.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-24, 03:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

To get a "Well-constructed low-carbohydrate meal plans that is nutritionally adequate in adults." We should use "Net Carbs" and a wide variety of foods …or it is low in some nutrients and fiber. A food list that was less than 20g total carbs, only 2 c. Salad, 1 c. Veg! was not healthy for me long-term. This menu looks great, but to be fair, the authors have a COI with Atkins and Quest. Hard to get study funding otherwise.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Sep-16-24 at 05:12.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-24, 09:06

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I understand them wanting to make sure there was a good variety of different foods, but good grief, most of the breakfasts were more complex than the recipes I use to make dinner!

The only good thing about this is that they're finally acknowledging that you can indeed get all necessary nutrients on a LC diet.

That is big, though! Constant pressure from sick women, who have nutrition needs not being addressed along with extra stress from social pressure about weight, and the tendency for them to be short on time to take care of themselves, especially with a family.

They like to fancy up the diet to make it appealling, but simpler is actually better, on the daily.