Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-24, 08:35

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Very-low-calorie keto diet slashes fat & oxidative stress, boosting metabolic health

Quote:
Very-low-calorie keto diet slashes fat and oxidative stress, boosting metabolic health in obesity

A study published in the journal Free Radical Biology and Medicine demonstrates the impact of a multiphase, very-low-calorie ketogenic diet on serum markers of oxidative stress in individuals living with obesity.

Background

Obesity has become a major public health concern because of its severe adverse health effects. Obesity, which is characterized by excessive accumulation of fat, is associated with a reduction of 5–20 years of life expectancy and an increased risk of various non-communicable diseases, including cardiovascular and metabolic diseases and certain cancer types.

Evidence indicates that obesity-related complications can be reduced by achieving a 5-10% body weight loss. Various lifestyle interventions, such as healthy dietary habits and regular physical activities, have shown promising outcomes in weight management.

Calorie-restricted diets with high levels of nutraceuticals and phytochemicals have been found to reduce obesity-related complications and increase life expectancy through anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities.

In this study, scientists have investigated the effectiveness of a multiphase, very-low-calorie ketogenic diet in maintaining the body’s redox status and influencing anthropometric and biochemical parameters.

Study design

The study was conducted on 40 adult individuals living with obesity. They were prescribed a multiphasic, very-low-calorie ketogenic diet for eleven weeks. Daily fiber, vitamin, and mineral intake were provided in accordance with international recommendations.

Anthropometric parameters, body composition parameters, calorimetric measures, and standard laboratory markers of glucose and lipid metabolism were evaluated at baseline and the end of the dietary intervention. Serum antioxidant status and levels of oxidative stress markers were also evaluated at both timepoints.

Important observations

The analysis of baseline characteristics identified dyslipidemia as the most frequent comorbidity among participants. All of them were physically active; however, their activity levels were low.

A significant improvement in body weight, body mass index (BMI), waist circumference, and waist-to-hip ratio was observed after the 11-week multiphase, very low-calorie ketogenic dietary intervention.

A lower obesity class was observed in the entire study population at the end of the intervention. A significant reduction in abdominal obesity was observed in 18% of participants.

A significant reduction in fat mass, fat-free mass, body water, and cell mass was observed after the 11-week intervention.

Regarding metabolic effects, the intervention was found to improve glucose and lipid metabolism, with no changes in serum total protein and albumin levels.

The analysis of oxidative stress markers and antioxidant status in serum and erythrocytes indicated that the 11-week intervention is capable of improving serum redox balance by reducing oxidative stress markers, including total oxidative status, lipofuscin, lipid hydroperoxides, and malondialdehyde (MDA).

Changes in anthropometric measurements, body composition, and glucose metabolism parameters were significantly associated with changes in serum markers of oxidative damage.

Further statistical analysis revealed that the change in serum lipofuscin level significantly predicted the changes in body mass index, fat mass, visceral adiposity, and insulin sensitivity. Similarly, the variations in serum MDA level and total oxidative status were identified as significant predictors of BMI and fat mass changes, respectively.

Study significance

The study finds that intake of a multiphase, very-low-calorie ketogenic diet for eleven weeks has positive health effects, as demonstrated by reduced body weight and fat mass and improved glucose and lipid metabolism. These positive health effects are associated with reduced serum oxidative stress markers and improved serum redox balance.

An average weight loss of approximately 18 kilograms was observed in participants. This could be attributed to reduced energy intake, protein-induced satiety, and hormone-regulated appetite control.

The average reduction in free fat mass, muscle mass, and total body water was 2.7 kilograms, 1.8 kilograms, and 2.0 kilograms, respectively, among participants after the 11-week dietary intervention.

A reduction in total body water could be due to increased water excretion (required for ketone body removal), reduced sodium intake, and liver and muscle glycogen depletion.

These observations suggest that the multiphase, very-low-calorie ketogenic diet is capable of reducing fat mass while maintaining lean mass in obese individuals.

A reduction in respiratory quotient without any changes in resting metabolic rate indicates a shift towards preferential lipid oxidation over carbohydrates for energy, optimizing oxygen metabolism. This metabolic adaptation is predictive of long-term weight maintenance and improved metabolic health.

Overall, the study highlights the interactions between adiposity, glucose metabolism, and redox homeostasis in the pathogenesis of obesity. The study also identifies serum lipofuscin as a reliable redox marker in obesity.

Journal reference:

Bellanti F. 2024. A multiphase very-low calorie ketogenic diet improves serum redox balance by reducing oxidative status in obese patients. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...891584924005847

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...in-obesity.aspx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-24, 13:38

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Calorie-restricted diets with high levels of nutraceuticals and phytochemicals have been found to reduce obesity-related complications and increase life expectancy through anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities.

But I got results with as much animals foods as I could eat to appetite. And it was delicious.

TEST ME, she requested.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-24, 04:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow, this is HARSH. I'd have to have an iron will to stick to this... or be on my deathbed. And that wouldn't have been the case for study participants because confounding illnesses were excluded. Give the successful study participants a gold medal.

This is from the Word doc in Appendix A. I neglected to include in the screencaps that they also had fiber, vitamin and mineral supplements, plus 2 L water.

Phase 1: Basically Keto-Opti-Fast

Phase 2: We know you're dying for a pizza and french fries so here's some skinless chicken breast and eggs

Phase 3: How you could have done it all along without the high risk of burnout

One of the things that irked me was their recommendation to choose white meat over red. Where the heck were they getting iron? Just from the supplements?

My personal conclusion: if you're going to do 12 weeks of Kimkins, make sure you're being monitored by medical staff. And you might want to look into some nice hats, head scarves and head bands for when your hair falls out a month later.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-24, 04:56

BF:

Quote:
Phase 2: We know you're dying for a pizza and french fries so here's some skinless chicken breast and eggs

But, yeah. Woof.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-24, 05:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Minnesota Starvation experiment limited experiment subjects to 1600 calories day and they all lost weight. That diet was not low carb and the men were not obese. This diet would be torture in contravention of the Geneva accords.
Anyone, anywhere on any diet would lose weight, fat, and lower oxidative stress on 400 calories a day!

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-16-24 at 06:41.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-24, 08:08

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Extreme starvation (400 calories per day) is a sure fire way to lose weight. It is also a sure fire way to regain it, after the period of starvation is over. We all know that there is a better way to both lose weight and then maintain that loss.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-24, 10:00

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Dr Atkins goes into great derail about his FAT FAST. With a number of menu items.

One is an 8 oz. block of cream cheese.

His point was to use this if 20 carbs didn't work. It was for the rare person. And not to follow for more than 5 days.

Me, I can skip all meals for one day. But one food passes these lips, its full meals. Not ,400 calories. Too low signals "starvation" to the body and it goes into survival mode.

Keto and carnivore, at higher calorie intake, overrides this traction. Dr Atkins showed that higher calories on keto worked better to drop body fat. Not less.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-24, 13:48

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I had clicked on the link yesterday and read enough to find out it was a 400-800 calorie diet and was in absolute shock that they would intentionally put someone on that strict of a diet.

At least it was less than 3 months.

Quote:
if you're going to do 12 weeks of Kimkins, make sure you're being monitored by medical staff. And you might want to look into some nice hats, head scarves and head bands for when your hair falls out a month later

That was one of the first things I thought of too, that it's just medically supervised kimkins and yes their hair will likely start falling out within a couple weeks of "finishing" the diet.

And this:
Quote:
Extreme starvation (400 calories per day) is a sure fire way to lose weight. It is also a sure fire way to regain it, after the period of starvation is over. We all know that there is a better way to both lose weight and then maintain that loss.

Why did they even feel the need to conduct this study?

I certainly hope that they followed up on these poor stooges after the study was completed so they would see that this is NOT the way to lose weight. I mean unless their goal was to destroy half their muscle, including heart muscle.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-24, 14:24

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Why did they even feel the need to conduct this study?

I certainly hope that they followed up on these poor stooges after the study was completed so they would see that this is NOT the way to lose weight. I mean unless their goal was to destroy half their muscle, including heart muscle.

I wondered the same thing. How could anyone believe that this research needed to be done? I wonder how informed was the required informed consent of the research subjects. I suspect the fact that subjects agreed to participate reflects the desperation of people who are obese. I suspect also that they were sold a bill of goods masquerading as science.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-24, 03:16

BF:

It's to scare people away from keto. When keto isn't about the restriction, but they are stuck on calories. NO, it is the effect of the calories.

They have to slander the good, to sell the bad. See how you can still eat treats, we just reduced the calories!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-24, 20:38

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Part of their conclusion was that this ridiculous starvation keto diet reduced oxidative stress and improved metabolic health.

Although a regular keto diet should do the same thing.

I think they just wanted to make sure that obese people suffered - punishment for allowing themselves to become obese.

"You don't really need to eat - you can live off your fat for the next 12 weeks. But Ok, we'll allow you pitiful amounts of food anyway. Even though you've already had more than your share of the world's food."

Did anyone else notice how few made it through the study?

Quote:
During the study period (October 2022–September 2023), 128 obese individuals who began the VLCKD were considered for enrollment. Of these, 50 were excluded, and 78 started the observation. However, 38 patients discontinued the diet, and 40 patients completed the study

Maybe those are not unusual numbers to be considered, eliminated, and quit, then end up with so few completing it.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-24, 13:05

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I would never take part in a starvation study like that one.