Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-24, 08:19

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default People Want More Protein. Even at Dessert.

Quote:
People Want More Protein. Even at Dessert.

People are flocking to ice cream, cakes and cookies with extra protein mixed in. They don’t always need the boost.

The obsession with protein has reached a new frontier: dessert.

People are using cottage cheese to make ice cream. They’re sipping boba tea made with protein-powder-infused milk. They’re chomping on cheesecake crammed with Greek yogurt filling and an almond-flour base.

Food brands are joining in on creating protein desserts. Frozen-dessert chain 16 Handles announced a high-protein chocolate peanut butter banana frozen yogurt flavor earlier this year. Legendary Foods, a protein-focused snack company, offers a high-protein sweet roll with wild berry, cinnamon and chocolate variations. A food company called Wow! crafted a protein doughnut.

The emergence of protein sweets is part of a wave of U.S. consumers wanting to amp up their protein and avoid added sugar. Six in 10 U.S. consumers surveyed said they are looking to consume less sugar, according to a survey of nearly 3,300 U.S. consumers 15 years or older in March by the New Consumer, a consumer brands publication, and Toluna, a market-research firm.

The same survey found that almost 20% of people want to get more protein this year.

These high-protein desserts can be designed to be lower in sugar and give a sheen of health to cakes, cookies and other indulgences, consumers say. Yet dietitians say most people with omnivorous diets get sufficient protein from their other meals.

Abdullah Emad, a civil engineer in Dallas, says he and his girlfriend work out six to seven days a week and try to eat a high-protein, low-sugar diet. Creating protein ice cream made with protein shakes, vanilla extract and Jell-O has become a guilt-free way for the couple to indulge nearly daily, he says.

“We said to each other, ‘This feels like cheating,’ ” Emad, 33, says.

Searches for “protein desserts” on Google have reached their highest levels ever in recent months, according to Google Trends. Fairlife, a milk product sold by Coca-Cola with more protein and less sugar than regular milk, experienced a 30% jump in sales this year from a year ago, a company spokeswoman says. One of the three most popular uses of Fairlife is with desserts like cookies and cakes, she says.

How much protein?

Around one in five U.S. adults said they worry they aren’t getting enough protein, a February survey of 2,000 people by Mintel shows.

“The average person gets more than enough protein,” says Joanne Slavin, a professor of food science and nutrition at the University of Minnesota. Focusing on protein mostly makes sense for growing kids, the elderly and bodybuilders, she adds.

Eating more protein helps people feel satiated after meals and build muscle, says Grace Derocha, a registered dietitian and a spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

Eating too much protein could cause dehydration and nutrient imbalances, she says. She recommends a minimum of 54 grams of protein for an 150-pound adult. That much protein would correspond to about two eggs, one cup of Greek yogurt and a serving of salmon, she says.

Protein intake depends on your health goals, age, gender, health conditions, family history and what you are trying to accomplish, Derocha says. But there are plenty of other things to consider when building a healthy diet.

“If someone is so focused on protein, are you getting enough fiber?” Derocha says. “Are you getting enough vitamins and minerals from whole grains, from fruits and vegetables, from your heart-healthy fat sources?”

Some protein desserts cooked up with sugar alcohols or substitutes can also cause headaches, she says.

Still, the appetite for protein-rich foods is rising. Sales of food with 25 grams or more of protein per serving jumped nearly 8% between July 2023 and June 2024, according to an analysis of U.S. retailers by the market-research firm NielsenIQ. This was faster sales growth than products with less protein per serving, the same data shows.

New recipes to swap

People review and exchange protein dessert recipes on social media. Content with a hashtag or caption that mentions “protein dessert” has generated 68 million views on TikTok between early April and early July, 22% more than over the previous 90 days, according to data provided by dcdx, a research and strategy firm focusing on Generation Z consumers, and Tubular Labs, a video-analytics company.

Erin Oprea, a Nashville, Tenn.-based fitness trainer, says protein ice cream lets her enjoy dessert and meet her low-sugar, high-protein diet goals. She makes her dish by blending milk, vanilla protein powder, sugar-free vanilla pudding mix and peanut-butter powder and has been enjoying a scoop daily this summer. Other recipes can be gross, she says.

It isn’t just gym rats pounding the protein desserts, says dcdx’s founder, Andrew Roth.

“What we see on TikTok and social media is they’ll frame and make this as accessible to hack your way to success,” Roth says.

Kim Cauti, a food blogger living in Providence, R.I., devises protein dessert recipes like chocolate peanut butter cottage cheese ice cream and s’mores cookies. The recipes are more fun than having another plate of meat, she says.

“I want to have dessert every single day, but I have health and fitness goals that are really important to me that traditional desserts don’t fit into,” Cauti, 39, says.

Some desserts with roots in Asia are also high in protein, including tofu pudding or the Filipino dessert halo-halo, which is often made with sweetened beans.

Megan Henderson, a 31-year-old lawyer in Denver, says she’ll dig into taho, a Filipino dessert of layered silken tofu with tapioca pearls and brown sugar syrup, when she wants to boost her protein consumption in a sweet way.

Not everyone is on board with replacing regular desserts. Careese Kwok, a 30-year-old in New York, says she enjoys getting protein in her regular diet without having to turn to dessert.

“I just have such a big sweet tooth that if I’m gonna eat something sweet, I want it to be the real thing,” Kwok says. “I’ve tried to experiment with sweet, protein-like desserts, but it just doesn’t hit like I need. I’d rather eat a cookie.”

https://www.wsj.com/health/wellness...ookies-e5c36afa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-24, 09:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Is this an article about me!? Thanks for posting this!
On the leading edge…made my first protein ice cream 4 years ago this week
Dr Ted Naiman's ice cream here: https://youtu.be/zCgDBd8FgvY?feature=shared. And here: https://energytoxicity.com/Tips.html Eat from this infographic, as much as you want, and you will lose weight

Very easy, no jello mix or artificial sweeteners required. Use a frozen three berry mix which is slightly sweeter with blueberries in it. A vanilla PP..only one scoop of PP a day. Rotate in LF cottage cheese and NF yogurt. All yummy! For a fraction of the calories of any food using HWC, regular cheese or high fat yogurt. My main protein sources are fish and chicken, with vegetables for fiber and micronutrients. A protein dessert/snack is a treat, a small % of daily protein.

A commercial protein dessert would be a waste of money, to say nothing of the chemical preservatives likely in it. And only 54 grams of Protein for an adult?! LOL Over the past 5 years since the publication of TheP:E Diet and SPC, many have embraced the simple weight loss method of 1 g P per pound of ideal body weight. I would be considered "elderly" so that works for me.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-27-24 at 03:26.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-24, 02:52

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Sigh. If this is how we have to get the protein message out...
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-24, 06:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

[QUOTE]
Eating too much protein could cause dehydration and nutrient imbalances
, she says. She recommends a minimum of 54 grams of protein for an 150-pound adult. That much protein would correspond to about two eggs, one cup of Greek yogurt and a serving of salmon, she says [quote)

Where is the evidence for that?

It's just a scare tactic.I've never heard Dr Westmann speak about dehydration.

Her recommendation for amount of daily animal based protein is low.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Jul-27-24 at 06:46.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-24, 06:55

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

There's only 3 macronutrients.

THEY want you to limit fats (and sat fat and cholesterol) to a bare minimum.

THEY also want you to limit protein to a paltry 54 g (preferably plant based of course).

The only macro left is carbs - Oh yes, eat lots of carbs, lots and lots of them! Fill up on them!

Then you can be hungry again in an hour, since you didn't have enough fat or protein to sustain you! Just carbs to skyrocket your blood sugar, followed by an inevitable blood sugar crash and lack of energy.

Then you can fill up on carbs again!

And be starving in an hour... and fill up on carbs again!

Rinse and repeat over and over, all day long, until you fall into bed utterly exhausted and weak from lack of protein and lack of sustained energy, then you can do it all over again the next day.

What a miserable roller coaster.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-24, 10:03

BF:

These kinds of articles are just another way of talking about dessert.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-24, 11:16

BF:

[QUOTE=Ms Arielle]
Quote:

, she says. She recommends a minimum of 54 grams of protein for an 150-pound adult. That much protein would correspond to about two eggs, one cup of Greek yogurt and a serving of salmon, she says [quote)

I'm convinced that nutritionists never even bother look at the full vitamin/mineral content of anything, just go by the macros and the very few nutrients on the nutrition facts labels, so the "nutrient imbalance" is obviously that if you get more than 54 g of protein, then you're not going to have the stomach capacity for almost 6 times as many carbs as g of protein.

And then you have the "problem" that most proteins come with fats, which really throws off their "nutrient" balance.

As far as dehydration, the reason we lose so much water weight when we first start on LC is that carbs cause you to retain fluid. Cut down on the carbs and eat more protein - you lose a lot of that excess fluid. They are apparently using some kind of twisted logic to make it sound like losing your excess fluid can result in a state of dehydration.

Will you drop some water weight? Yes, but I hardly think you're going to actually become dehydrated, certainly not to a dangerous extent, unless you intentionally deny yourself fluids when you're thirsty.

Such nonsense...

Anything to keep people eating carbs, carbs, carbs!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-24, 12:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

Quote:

Urea is the main by-product of protein metabolism, and it does require more water to help flush it out of the bloodstream via the kidneys into the urine. The solution is not to eat less protein, but to simply drink more water. FWIW, too little protein in the diet can lead to fluid retention!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-24, 13:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

[QUOTE=Calianna][QUOTE=Ms Arielle]
Quote:

, she says. She recommends a minimum of 54 grams of protein for an 150-pound adult. That much protein would correspond to about two eggs, one cup of Greek yogurt and a serving of salmon, she says

I'm convinced that nutritionists never even bother look at the full vitamin/mineral content of anything, just go by the macros and the very few nutrients on the nutrition facts labels, so the "nutrient imbalance" is obviously that if you get more than 54 g of protein, then you're not going to have the stomach capacity for almost 6 times as many carbs as g of protein.

And then you have the "problem" that most proteins come with fats, which really throws off their "nutrient" balance.

As far as dehydration, the reason we lose so much water weight when we first start on LC is that carbs cause you to retain fluid. Cut down on the carbs and eat more protein - you lose a lot of that excess fluid. They are apparently using some kind of twisted logic to make it sound like losing your excess fluid can result in a state of dehydration.

Will you drop some water weight? Yes, but I hardly think you're going to actually become dehydrated, certainly not to a dangerous extent, unless you intentionally deny yourself fluids when you're thirsty.

Such nonsense...

Anything to keep people eating carbs, carbs, carbs!

Exactly right!

You are far smarter than a dietitian!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-24, 05:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:

, she says. She recommends a minimum of 54 grams of protein for an 150-pound adult. That much protein would correspond to about two eggs, one cup of Greek yogurt and a serving of salmon, she says
You know, it really starts to feel to me that traditionally-trained-and-practicing dieticians want it both ways: they want us to smarten up , pay attention, educate ourselves... but they also think we're too stupid to do so. "Nutrient imbalance?" LOL. "Dehydration?" LOL. What ridiculous amount of protein - and little else - would you have to eat without stopping before you vomit, that results in dehydration? It strikes me as a straw man argument for her to present that type of situation. It just doesn't generally happen IRL, perhaps except for a very rare few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna

Amen - especially considering that half the crap food they want us to consume, it's fortified artificially, anyway. Thanks, but I'll pass on the cereal and bread, and just take whatever vitamin/mineral supplements that I see fit. What's the difference between them adding the vitamins, and me choosing my own?

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Jul-28-24 at 06:07.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-24, 13:16

BF:

I can't even imagine how much protein one would need to consume to become dehydrated - and it would need to be intentional dehydration, purposely gorging on protein, while intentionally avoiding drinking water.

As an example, the annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest was held a few weeks ago. This year's winner ate 58 hot dogs in the allotted 10 minutes. Each hot dog only has about 5 gr protein, but of course it's served in a bun which provides approximately another 3-5 g protein. They can drink water with it, but mostly they don't take the time to drink at all, just dunk the hot dogs in water to soften up the bun so they can swallow the hot dog and bun with very little chewing.

So there they are eating 58 hot dogs (x5 g protein) along with 58 buns (x 3-5 g protein) for a grand total of 464 to 580 g g protein. In 10 minutes.

They'll probably throw up afterwards due to the sheer volume of food they've swallowed in such a short amount of time - but that's still somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 TIMES the amount of protein they want to limit everyone to in a day... and yet they were not even drinking water with all that protein, only dunking their buns in water to make them easier to swallow. Somehow, they still do not become dehydrated on 10 times the recommended daily protein limit.

I hardly think anyone is going to become dehydrated by eating 100 or even 150 g protein over the course of a day, even if only drinking when they happen to be thirsty.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-24, 14:50

BF:

I shoot for 130 grams a day, and I usually make it, and it FEELS GOOD.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-24, 12:26

Plan: ADF
Stats: 375/235.9/165 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

My goal is about 130g of protein but I feel pretty successful if I make it to 100g. That feels like a good number to me. Though I confess I’m not a big meat fan so also look for other options, and I love my protein ice cream. 🍨