Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-24, 00:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Inflammation: the new health fixation fuelled by modern life

Quote:
Inflammation: the new health fixation fuelled by modern life

Experts are learning more about the impact of stress and burnout on our bodies — and drug companies are investing billions

It used to be what happened when you stubbed your toe. Now, “inflammation” appears to be the new medical buzzword, seemingly at the heart of every health problem going, from long Covid to gut health. A quick search on Google Scholar throws up nearly five million results on the topic; this year alone 56,900 research papers have examined the role of inflammation in everything from coronary artery disease to obesity. Big pharma companies such as Eli Lilly are investing billions in developing anti-inflammatory drugs.

So what has changed? Is inflammation really the root of all our medical issues? And what about that old stubbed toe?

First things first. Inflammation is the same thing as it has always been: the automatic response of the body in trying to fight infections, toxins or trauma. When the body encounters, say, a virus or a trauma such as a cut, it activates the immune system, which sends out inflammatory cells and cytokines (small proteins that stimulate more inflammatory cells) to neutralise the invading virus or start healing injured tissue.

“If you look at everything through the lens of our evolution, inflammation was a good thing, because whatever was happening to us, inflammation would help our systems defend and maintain balance,” says Jon Whitehead, a professor of biomedical chemistry at Lincoln University. So you bang your toe, it gets swollen, red and inflamed, then it gets better and the inflammation is gone.

In recent years, however, inflammation has started to become a more systemic issue, contributing not only to the autoimmune conditions we have known about for some time — such as inflammatory bowel disease, rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis, in which the immune system starts to attack the healthy cells of organs and tissues — but as a hidden, low-grade, permanent situation that may not even be externally discernible.

This sort of inflammation, says Whitehead, “contributes to what I would call most of the ‘21st-century’ diseases — cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer too. It doesn’t cause that disease in most cases, but it has a negative impact, worsens the outcome and speeds up those outcomes.”

Tim Spector, an epidemiologist, believes we’re beginning to realise just how deep the relationship between inflammation and the immune system is. “Virtually every disease involves inflammation to some extent,” he says. For example, “we used to think stress caused heart attacks, but actually, stress causes inflammation, which can then lead to a heart attack”.

It’s not hard to see why this is happening. “Our systems have evolved to protect, but to do so under relatively acute stress, and the stress should be resolved,” Whitehead says. Now they are “working in a way that they’re not designed to, long term, and everything’s slightly out of balance”.

Of course, most of us live longer and in more comfort than any humans in history. But the chronic stresses and strains of modern life — from processed diets to obesity to lack of natural light — mean our bodies tend towards constant fight mode, overworking our immune systems and putting us at risk.

So how can we tell if we’re suffering from chronic inflammation, and what can we do about it?

The five so-called classic markers of inflammation are pain, heat, redness, swelling and loss of function. Easily observable in a stubbed toe, less so in a dodgy liver. But some of the symptoms are similar: frequent infections, for example, can be a sign that things are not right, as can weight gain, insomnia, depression or fatigue.

“One of the things to watch out for is belly fat, because belly fat, unlike the fat that pads the thighs or upper arms, is a proxy for hidden ‘visceral’ fat that wraps around the inner abdominal organs,” says the gastroenterologist Shilpa Ravella. “This type of fat is highly inflammatory, churning out inflammatory cytokines at all hours of the day.” Research indicates that visceral adipose tissue (belly fat) is the main determining factor in type 2 diabetes, for example.

Our diet clearly plays a key role. “Studies show that if you eat a crap meal, you get an inflammatory response — the poorer the quality of the meal, the higher the inflammatory response,” Whitehead says.

A better diet means plenty of fruit and veg, enough fibre, lean protein and less red meat, fatty fish and things that are good for your gut such as yoghurt and other fermented foods (probiotic) and things like asparagus and bananas (prebiotic), because a healthy population of gut bacteria can also keep inflammation at bay.

“What you include is actually much more important than what you exclude,” Ravella says. “Our most anti-inflammatory nutrient is fibre from various plant sources, yet we include so little of it in our diets — 90 per cent of UK adults are deficient in fibre.”

Supporting your body in this way will also help with overall ageing. “We know that the one thing which is the most detrimental to longevity is chronic inflammation,” the nutritionist Gabriela Peacock says. She recommends supporting your digestion with pro and prebiotic foods, plus supplements. “I would be looking at nutrients such as resveratrol, a type of polyphenol found in red wine [as well as coffee, tea and dark chocolate], and curcumin, found in turmeric and green tea, which is full of antioxidants.”

Making other basic lifestyle changes can also help. “When you go for a hike in the woods, for example, you’re not only getting exercise but you’re getting exposure to the microbes that train and manage your immune system and chronic inflammation,” Ravella says.

All sounding a bit, well, inflammatory? As ever with medical trends, there is a danger of inflammation becoming the grand unifying theory of all ailments, a new obsession. But as Danny Altmann, a professor of immunology at Imperial College London, points out: “It’s quite nuanced and complex. Inflammation is [also] a good thing — it’s really important.”

“Balance is everything,” Whitehead says. “It’s all right to have a drink once in a while, or a late night once in a while.” Indulge to excess, however, and your system will be way out of whack. And then you could be contending with an awful lot more pain than that old stubbed toe.

https://www.thetimes.com/life-style...-life-qk7zhqg2t
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-24, 03:10

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I am healing my own inflammation problems by what I eat. Because the heavyweight autoimmune drugs are for transplanted organ rejection.

It's not a solution, it's more symptom suppression. There is a price to pay for not having a working immune system.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-24, 04:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Demi, thank you for posting the entire article from The Times. Health journalists writing about eating plans are embracing fibre but not from grains.
Quote:
Our diet clearly plays a key role. “Studies show that if you eat a crap meal, you get an inflammatory response — the poorer the quality of the meal, the higher the inflammatory response,” Whitehead says.

A better diet means plenty of fruit and veg, enough fibre, lean protein and less red meat, fatty fish and things that are good for your gut such as yoghurt and other fermented foods (probiotic) and things like asparagus and bananas (prebiotic), because a healthy population of gut bacteria can also keep inflammation at bay.

Another example, the basics of Dr Casey Means' Good Energy.
Quote:
“There's no keto or vegan or paleo. It's about what molecules do your cells need to function properly and how do you get those to them? And so we just have eight simple strategies, essentially. It's five things to put into your meals and three things to take out of your meals to essentially give your cells what they need.

And those five things are healthy protein, omega-3 fats, antioxidants, a probiotic source and fiber. And that's not exhaustive, but if you focus on getting those five things in every single meal, you are going to be giving your body so much of what it needs.

And the three things that we recommend taking out are the ultra-processed grains, ultra-processed sugars and ultra-processed industrial seed oils, which do nothing to meet the needs of your cells and essentially are empty calories that prevent you from actually getting your body what they need. On top of this, we of course have an industrial agriculture system that has killed the soil in our country and the soil is what injects healthful nutrients into our food.

Or Dr Sarah Ballentyne's Nutrivore program, with a focus on nutrition and fiber to reduce inflammation. If you replace grains and fats with high fiber vegetables and fruit, the reduction in calories leads to weight loss and a reduction in visceral fat…a lower calorie intake is how low carb has always worked.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-21-24 at 05:17.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-24, 09:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Sarah Ballentyne's Nutrivore program, with a focus on nutrition and fiber to reduce inflammation. If you replace grains and fats with high fiber vegetables and fruit,

That is a fine and incredibly doable system I can suggest to people who are lost on the "Mediterranean Diet" because everything they read changes the rules on them.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-24, 09:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

For those interested in a deeper dive into the science of inflammation, this recent interview on STEM Talk with Charles Serhan is excellent, and one can glean several valuable lifestyle practices from this discussion. While it wasn't a dominant topic, as he touches on many other details related to the mechanism and metabolic process of inflammation, one of my major takeaways was making Omega 3s from marine foods or supplements (marine sources of EPA & DHA) a core part of one's diet. Turns out, Omega 3s have prominent and positive roles in managing inflammation. More and more I'm finding the value of Omega 3s, and I've noticed an improvement since I ramped up my consumption.

Here's the inflammation research interview:

https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode-170/

A couple months ago, I tested my Omega 3 index using a company called Omegaquant. I wanted to evaluate my index to fine-tune my dose. This is a simple test where they mail you a kit and you send in a drop of blood to get your Omega 3 percentage. The healthiest level is >8%, and most in the western world have less than 4-5%. Those between 8-12% have significantly lower metabolic risk factors and longer healthspans. Here's the link to the test information:

https://omegaquant.com/what-is-the-omega-3-index/

Since research demonstrates that sufficient blood Omega 3s are a major player in keeping inflammation in the healthy zone, it's good to consider Omega 3s whether you're getting them from food or good-quality supplements or both.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Mon, Jul-22-24 at 09:51.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-24, 10:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Or Dr Sarah Ballentyne's Nutrivore program, with a focus on nutrition and fiber to reduce inflammation. If you replace grains and fats with high fiber vegetables and fruit, the reduction in calories leads to weight loss and a reduction in visceral fat…a lower calorie intake is how low carb has always worked.
Thanks for sharing this Janet. I'd not heard of Dr Sarah Ballantyne before, but I've now ordered a copy of her book.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-24, 10:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
For those interested in a deeper dive into the science of inflammation, this recent interview on STEM Talk with Charles Serhan is excellent, and one can glean several valuable lifestyle practices from this discussion. While it wasn't a dominant topic, as he touches on many other details related to the mechanism and metabolic process of inflammation, one of my major takeaways was making Omega 3s from marine foods or supplements (marine sources of EPA & DHA) a core part of one's diet. Turns out, Omega 3s have prominent and positive roles in managing inflammation. More and more I'm finding the value of Omega 3s, and I've noticed an improvement since I ramped up my consumption.

Here's the inflammation research interview:

https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode-170/

A couple months ago, I tested my Omega 3 index using a company called Omegaquant. I wanted to evaluate my index to fine-tune my dose. This is a simple test where they mail you a kit and you send in a drop of blood to get your Omega 3 percentage. The healthiest level is >8%, and most in the western world have less than 4-5%. Those between 8-12% have significantly lower metabolic risk factors and longer healthspans. Here's the link to the test information:

https://omegaquant.com/what-is-the-omega-3-index/

Since research demonstrates that sufficient blood Omega 3s are a major player in keeping inflammation in the healthy zone, it's good to consider Omega 3s whether you're getting them from food or good-quality supplements or both.
This is very interesting, thanks for posting!

I may get my Omega 3 index tested too.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-24, 04:16

BF:

Astute avoidance of seed oils for quite a while now, and discovered fish oil supplements were too much, gave me nosebleeds.

It's true that inflammation can be vastly lowered with proper diet.