Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-24, 09:03

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Jey - That's great for the lady you follow on X - and she's determined to keep the weight off. I also realize that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for anyone else. If this is working for her long term, more power to her.

Although frankly I'm surprised that her "food noise" is still gone while being off the drug since reaching 156 lbs (doesn't say how long she's been off of the GLP-1 - at least I'm assuming she's been off of it for a while, since she's saying she reached 156, and is determined to keep the weight off), because for most people the "food noise" seems to return as soon as each dose starts to wear off, and they are either (a) literally white knuckling it until the next dose kicks in, or (b) are so ravenous on those days that they give in and consider it to be a day or two of freedom to eat and drink as much junk as they want.

The thing is that most people I've seen doing GLP-1 drugs are eating mostly starch - think saltines because whole grains are too difficult to digest. Very little protein, mostly in the form of protein shakes, because meat is way too hard to digest. Almost no fat. Maybe (MAYBE) some fruit and veggies. Eating so little keeps their calories down - as well as keeping their carbs well below RDA levels, because they just can't eat RDA levels of anything. So naturally they lose weight - you can't eat that little and NOT lose weight.

(And to be clear, I think all of us on here realize that keto and carnivore are the most extreme versions of LC diets. If you're not satisfying your micronutrient needs on keto or carnivore, you can indeed end up exceeding your caloric needs in an attempt to satisfy nutritional needs. Also if you're lost weight to the point that your calorie intake has caught up with your calorie expenditure, you're not going to lose weight, and could very easily end up gaining weight, especially in an attempt to satisfy nutritional needs. On the other hand, we also know that even diets that are 120-150 carbs/day are still significantly lowER carb diets than recommended by the USDA. So even though most of us don't eat anywhere near that many carbs daily, and don't tend to consider them to be truly LC diets, they are still far lower in carbs than the DGA standards, and therefore still fall under the umbrella of carb restricted, if not truly LC)

I just see far too many people treating the GLP-1 as if it's the only way to control food consumption. The food noise for some people has been turned down to a point where they end up "forgetting" to eat until late in the day, then barely eat anything at all when they do eat and then eating a few saltines or a banana fills them up to the point that they can't eat any more until they finally remember to eat something the next day... and that continues until that dose wears off, then the food noise is back with a vengeance and they eat and drink everything that they couldn't eat while the drug was in their system... until the next dose kicks in when they go back to barely eating anything again.

They are losing weight of course - you can't help but lose weight when you eat so few calories, even if you have a day or two each week when you splurge and consume several times as much as you do on the GLP-1 effective days. Those are the people I really fear for what will happen when they inevitably are cut off by their insurance company - they can't control their eating for the day or two when the dose has worn off, how will they ever control it long term?

As far as food manufacturers shifting to foods that appeal to those doing GLP-1 drugs, what we've seen so far is that they're saying their new improved meals are high protein - but the protein content is likely either the same or even less than in their previous offerings. Carbs are about the same as before, except when they're even higher than before, since carbs are easier to digest than protein on GLP-1 drugs. Dietary fat is minimal, since that's extremely difficult to digest on GLP-1 drugs, and is also in keeping with the DGA standards.

One can hope that they'll shift to better nutrition overall, but as long as the RDAs are so strongly geared towards high carbs, low fat, and minimal protein, that in itself will stifle their eagerness to improve the ratios significantly.

There many be less interest in candy, chips, and cookies in general on GLP-1 drugs, so that may ultimately reduce the amounts of those treats available in stores. Manufacturers may also cut back portion sizes on snack foods and candies to the point that someone on GLP-1 can buy a snack size container of chips or cookies that they can eat without feeling bad on them. (And people not on a GLP-1 will be complaining that the single serving size of M&M's or Pringles has been cut back but still costs as much as before - they really don't understand that the processing and packaging is a huge part of the cost)

Just like the lady in the above article says she has a ton of ice cream in her freezer, but she only eats a couple bites at a time, so she's significantly reduced the portion of her treats - she still wants her treats, she's just eating less of them. Which is certainly a significant improvement.

My concern (and this may just be me and my addictive personality), but my concern is that once she no longer has a therapeutic dosage of GLP-1 in her system, she will be likely to slowly increase her few bites to a few more bites, and a few more bites... and eventually she'll be eating a whole container again. If she intends to maintain her weight loss, she'll either need to cut out the ice cream permanently and completely, or stay on a therapeutic dosage of GLP-1 for life.

Last edited by Calianna : Mon, Sep-09-24 at 12:59.
Sponsored Links