Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Low Carb Grass Farmers

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 07:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 345/265/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Loved your article. I was particularly taken by your use of grass-fed cattle raising as a contribution to the environment. For years we've heard about how bad for the environment meat production is. And that's true in areas where they are cutting down rain forests to make grazing land. But they are also cutting down these forests to make farming land to grow grain! Is this any more environmentally sound, Ornish people? Anyway, I assume you live in Prairie country and don't have to cut a lot of trees to produce pasture land. Raising cattle is exactly how this land should be used.

Anyway, I'd like to see more grass fed beef in the stores but I don't expect it to happen in my area anytime soon. Our local chain supermarkets tout that they sell GRADE A GRAIN-FED ANGUS BEEF. Oh, it's good - but I'd prefer the grass-fed. I pass numerous pastures every day on the way to work. Probably the only way I'm going to be assured grass-fed beef is to buy a cow from a local farmer and have it slaughtered. (But for me, it's different if I see them alive - couldn't do it. Sigh!)

Anyway, thanks for making proper use of the land you have. If we'd all stop fighting nature and the environment and use each unique ecosystem in the way it is suited for, we'd all be healthier and the Earth would be sound.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 21:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello! Thank you for writing that article. I love hearing about people embracing simplicity. Best of luck in your venture; if I lived anywhere near you, I'd be a customer, for sure!