#5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 10:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Monica!

Eating 6 small meals a day is a great idea, Some LC'ers "graze" all day. Then you can always have protein and vegetables as a "meal".

You will find that you discover your own way of eating as you go along. When I first started, I made a list of all the LC things I liked to eat with the portions and carb counts beside them so I could train myself to stay within my carb limit.

Look at beginning low carbing this way: You have a carb bank that has a certain amount of carbs you can withdraw a day. Let's say it's 30 grams. If you go over 30 grams, your account is overdrawn. With the carb bank, there is no overdraft protection! So, you learn to eat within that limit. If you can eat sunflower seeds and stay within that limit, fine. If you can eat strawberries without becoming overdrawn, fine.

I think a lot of LC'ers have realized that it's better to use our accounts to eat vegetables rather than fruit and snack-y stuff. As you said, it's hard to eat 1 Tbsp. of sunflower seeds. Read labels and explore different food choices. Aha, 3/4 cup of sunflower seeds in the shell have only one ounce of edible seeds and 3 grams of effective carbohydrate. A better choice?

For induction, I will quote agonycat who says to follow Atkins induction to the letter. If it's not listed, don't eat it. I agree with her!

Keep posting,

Karen