#2   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 17:58
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
The only plan I want to be on is mine. Something I don't have to think about, once I know what works.
Well that's the gold standard, isn't it? I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to obsess, and count, and worry about every bite for the rest of your life, and if you pay attention to what works for your body while you're losing the weight, you should probably be able to craft a maintenance plan for yourself that works without driving you nuts.

BUT -- insulin resistance is what got you where you are and a controlled diet is the only way to "fix" it. Maintenance should be less restrictive than your current weight loss phase -- only time and your body will tell you how much less restrictive -- but I'm afraid you'll never have a carte blanche on carbs -- not even the good, low GI ones. Eating too many carbs for your body will always trigger excess insulin, and all the problems that go with it.

One thing you said makes me curious:
Quote:
When I am at my goal weight I plan to eat low GI, lower carb, real foods.
That's what you should be eating now -- low carb, low GI, REAL food. Plenty of vegetables, appropriate portions of low carb fruit (when your plan allows it), nuts and seeds -- all of these belong on your table during your weight loss phase, as well as afterwards.

Do you mean low GI grains when you say "real food"? They may well be possible for you later on -- they are for many people. But if that's what you meant, I hope you meant "real" is in contrast to the junk food you were talking about, and not to what you're eating now!! Because if you don't perceive yourself to be eating "real food" now, you may need to rethink some things. Probably I just misunderstood, though.