#6   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 02:22

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation Gaining Weight on Low Carb Lifestyle

Hi cvillacci

As has already been said, I to can imagine how frustrating the last 3 months have been for you. Much of my own thoughts will echo various elements of the replies that you have already had.

At the beginning it is important to know exactly how many carbs you are eating so that you educate yourself for the future. If you have not already done so, then do check out Fitday and log in your daily food intake. This site will not only tell you how many carbs and calories you are eating each day, but will suggest - if you look in the activities section - the amount of calories your body needs each day, if you are not slimming.

Try to keep your carbs at under 30, preferably around 20, for a week. It is not good to go to nearly 0 carbs, as this upsets some of the balances in your body and also may stop you losing weight.

Look at how many calories you are eating. Keep them a couple of hundred above your basal level - as seen in the activities section of Fitday. Never go below the basal level as this will tell your body to prepare for famine and it will not let go of its fat. If you lead a very active lifestyle then you will need a higher calorie intake.

Eating too many calories can cause you to put on weight. I've done that before now. If you supply more fat than your body needs for energy it will not just ignore it all. It is unlikely to put it into your fat cells, but you do tend to get an increase in water weight to cope with the extra fat in your body.

I have been low carbing for 20 months now. I have yo-yo dieted in the past and know I am a slow loser. Hence, for me I keep very close watch on my carbs and calories as you will see if you read my journal.

Do you drink enough fluids, particularly water? Keeping your body fully hydrated is essential to losing weight. Funnily enough, drinking more water often leads to weight loss. Eating more protein you need more water to process the food you are eating. If you do not drink enough fluids then your body will tend to hang onto what it has got and not lose weight.

I'm glad to hear that you are getting out walking and therefore doing more exercise. One thing I was surprised about was the 3 pounds I put on the first week I went to the gym. Muscle is heavier than fat and you do tend to hold on to additional water when you first start exercising.

It is possible that your tumour could be having an effect on your weight loss. Best results are always obtained when you are fully fit as your bodys systems are in balance. Last year when I experienced low estrogen levels I kept gaining and losing the same 2 pounds for 3 months. I kept low carbing the whole time and nothing I could do would help me lose weight. So there could be other things at work here.

You enjoy quite a lot of dairy products. Whilst this is not a particular problem for me I know that there are many who are sensitive to them and lose weight better after they have been cut out.

It is important to never feel hungry. Have legal snacks close by for those weaker moments. It is often better to plan in snacks throughout the day, distributing your calorie and carb allowance over 5 or 6 meals/snacks a day. This keeps your metabolism going.

There are many who do not take to Atkins and find 20 carbs to restrictive. Many other plans tend to allow up to 60 or so carbs a day and it may be that with your current problems this may also be something to investigate. Whatever way of life you choose you need to be happy in it and you should not feel hungry, deprived or lacking in energy.

Every success.