View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 00:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/144/125
BF:
Progress: 37%
Question Any nursing moms with Atkins advice?

I researched all over the web to find out whether nursing moms (my baby is not yet 3 mos) can do Atkins. I heard somewhere that we are to skip induction and go to the lowest carb part of OWL. That's what I did. I also read a transcript of a speech/ workshop Atkins himself had with a woman's group, and he actually said that nursing moms could do Atkins with no problem, and did not even say no induction. However, I thought it best to go to OWL, early stage.

My first week, I lost 6 lbs. I have about 25 to lose. This is my second week, and first I gained 2 lbs, then lost one, so I am about 5 lbs down.

I just discovered the marvels of fitday.com, so I see how I could be doing a bit better with my proportions of fat, carb, and protein.

Here's my question: should a nursing mom, who should be eating about 500 calories more than a non-nursing woman (though I am NOT counting calories), keep to the same % of the food groups as everyone else? I have seen here that it should come out to 70% fat, 5% carb, 25% protein. I will aim for that. But is that right?

Are there any other helpful things for a nursing mom to know? I assume all the protein will be better for my baby than my junky high-carb diet was.

Thanks!
Yaelle
Sponsored Links