View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 17:36
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Another easy fast food idea that I do a couple of times a month is to pick up a rotisserie chicken and a container of salad from the salad bar at my local supermarket. I think that most larger supermarkets these days sell rotisserie chickens and some type of ready made salad. The Tysons heat and serve chickens are also decent, although, at least at my supermarket, more expensive than the rotisserie chickens that they make fresh.

I also sometimes pick up salad and some roast beef and cheese from the deli and make a chef salad. Usually they have hard-boiled egg on the salad bar -- so with the egg, roast beef, and cheese there is plenty of protein in the meal.

It is certainly possible to eat reasonably healthy, lowcarb fast food.

I think I am lucky that I have no one close to me who tries to sabotage me. My husband and kids do bring home foods that I cannot eat, but they do not expect me to eat them. I don't have any problem with them bringing forbidden foods in the house as long as they don't push them on me. If my husband is planning to pick up take-out for himself and the kids, and he knows it is something I won't eat, he calls me at work and lets me know so that I can pick up something different for myself on the way home. (He's generally responsible for dinner around here on weekdays because he gets home earlier than I do.)

People in my office have also been very understanding and supportive about the way I am eating. In fact, I was at a lunchtime meeting in a hotel with my boss today and when they brought out lasagna he said, "You can't eat that, can you?" and encouraged me to speak up and ask for something else. I told the waiter that I could not eat wheat and he actually found a salmon meal for me (I think they were serving it to another meeting in the next room).