View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 15:14

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

It never ceases to amaze me how these people can call themselves "scientists" and actually sleep at night.

I just did a design review where I attempted to predict the production yield of an integrated circuit we are designing. My starting data was very limited and, hence, my conclusions have a significant margin of error in them. Yet my best estimate, based on that data, is that we will meet the production yield specifications if certain design changes are made. If I had the professional ethics that these "reasearchers" obviously have, I would have spent fifteen minutes showing five nifty graphs that say that we can meet yield requirements and been done. But that would have been highly misleading and so, instead, I spent about four hours and over thirty slides detailing the limitations of the data, the steps I took to overcome those limitations, the limitations of those same steps, the degree of uncertainty in my results, and the direction that I expect the actual results to end up relative to my predictions.

These people aren't seeking knowledge or truth - they are seeking funding and notoriety. The are contemptable.