View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:21

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%
Default I sent a letter to the author

The author irked me enough to compose the following letter to her.

I read your horrifying/humorous column of 4-24 about trying the Atkins Diet. I regret that you had such a bad experience.

Perhaps,if you had read *any* of Dr. Atkins books (or any of the other well-research books on the topic), instead of just material at his web site, you would have realized that low-carb food plans are not a license to go hog-wild on protein and fats. For example there are suggested daily amounts of protein to eat based on sex, height, and weight. Moreover, a low-carb diet does not mean a *no*-carb diet. In his books, Atkins specifically states that the very-low-carb portion of his plan (20 g. of carbs/day) is meant to last only a short time. Another pair of low-carb avocates, Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades (whose book, the Protein Power Life Plan, I currently follow), suggest that even at the early stages of the most restrictive version of their plan (meant only for the obese and morbidly obese), 40 g. of carbohydrates is appropriate (though no more than 10 g. per meal). All responsible low-carb plans encourage people to eat vegetables at some point. Many low-carb eaters report that they’re eating more and a greater variety of vegetables than they have in their lives.

As far as fats go, every low-carb plan that I know of encourages people to eat healthy fats: omega-3s (high-quality cod liver oil in particular), omega-6 (various seeds and nuts), omega-9 (olive oil, almonds), and even good-quality saturated fats (organic butter, ghee, and or coconut oil), which the body must have in order to process the omega-3 fats into the needed end products. Atkins encourages people not to worry so much about these fats, but *not* to ignore the total amount consumed completely. In addition, Atkins warns people away from damaged fats: commercially processed oils, and trans-fats.

Most importantly, as even casual observation shows, different people reactly differently to the exact same foods. Low-carb diets are obviously not appropriate for everyone who needs to lose weight. It’s a shame that we as a society, continue to have a fad mentality on an issue so central to our health and enjoyment.