View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 08:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/168/140 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/38%/?
Progress: 33%
Smile

I've been low carbing for over 3 1/2 years, and I echo everyone whose health problems dissapeared when I went low carb and none have surfaced since. For years I had severe chronic fatugue syndrome that there is no trace of anymore (I have so much energy it's amazing!), my hypoglycemia is under complete control, and being that the majority of my family are severe diabetics (and hypoglycemia is the pre condition to diabetes), I am so glad I discovered this when I was young as I am confident I will not get diabetes when I'm older like my Mom and everyone else in my family.

I used to suffer from migranes as well, so I have some advice there. I found my migranes went away completely when I started low carbing and cut out caffiene, sugar and bananas (three major triggers for me). They did come back a little when I went on a medication for my severe ADHD last year (that has one of the side effects listed as headaches), so I started taking a herb called Feverfew and I haven't had a migrane since. On the feverfew I've even been able to add back small amounts of caffiene (tea and the occaisional diet cola) as well as lots of Ross Chocolate and I never get migranes anymore as long as I take the Feverfew. (I also think the sugar in the chocolate, not just the caffeine, was giving me migranes, because even before I was on feverfew and when I was low carb I was eating small amounts of cocoa or unsweetened/splenda sweetened chocolate and never getting migranes - chocolate is one food group I have never competely given up - I love it!). I also find wheat in any form can almost start a migrane - if I have have 1/2 slice regular bread or even too much Gabi's or other low carb breads that have Vital Gluten in them, I feel a twinge of a migrane, so I don't do those very often. I am sure that's why I always had migranes before low carb, even though I often stayed away from known triggers like caffiene and bananas, I was still consuming lots of sugar and wheat, so I was still getting migranes (and being fat and having uncontrollable blood sugar episodes and CFS).

I love this WOE and have never felt better in my life - I will eat this way for the rest of my life. Also for the record, I fell off a horse when I was 17 and landed on my side on a rock and bruised my kidney - after that I had recurring kidney infections and bladder infections most of my life. But since starting this WOE, I have NEVER had a single kidney infection, only one minor bladder iinfection in the first six months (none in three years) and I have had no kidney pains like I occaisionally had in that kidney before - so that blows the "Kidney Damage" theory right out of the water as far as I'm concerned!!!!

Just my two cents.