View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 17:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
would I be out of line asking to see a blood sugar expert type of dr?

I'd say a visit to an endocrinologist, a doctor who specializes in hormone disorders such as diabetes, would be a very good idea. Your non-fasting blood glucose of 224 is definitely abnormal as is your blood glucose remaining at 180 for several hours following a glucose tolerance test. You may not have full-blown diabetes just yet as your fasting blood glucose readings are still in the normal range, but you're certainly heading in that direction.

Quote:
When I do atkins (20-30carbs) I don't make it past day 3. Everynight my heart beats erratically and I feel really tired, but it all goes away if I eat a bit more carbs per day.

Your body may not be able to take the shock of dropping from your normal carb intake to one that low. It might work better if you were to decrease them more slowly such as dropping to 45 grams a day or so for a week (like The Schwarzbein Principle) and then dropping to 40, then 35, etc...and see how your body tolerates that if you're not losing weight at 45 grams. You may never need to go below 30 grams (I don't) and you may be able to lose weight on more than 30 grams.