View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 12:40

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Don't get too "low carb eclectic"

Of course, you have to come up with a program you can live with, but my advice to any newly diagnosed Type II is read Dr. Bernstein's book from cover to cover and follow his dietary recommendations ONLY. If they should disagree with anyone else's plan on any point, go with Bernstein and ignore the other one.

Dr. Bernstein is arguably the world's foremost authority on diabetes. He single handedly invented self monitoring of blood sugar. He's lived as a Type I diabetic for more than 5 decades, and for more than 3 decades he's had normal blood sugars around the clock. As an endocrinologist and diabetologist he's seen first hand what horrible damage the disease can do to the body. As he says somewhere in the book, HbA1c readings reflective of average glucose readings as low as 120 mg/dl will more often than not be found in patients who upon examination present diabetic complications.

Managing blood sugar requires special dietary considerations which neither Atkins nor Scharzbein addresses in depth. Any physician who in the future tells me to increase my carbohydrate intake, take sulfonylurea drugs, limit fat consumption, or violate any other rule of Bernstein's regimen will find himself minus one patient immediately. I'm not willing to fool around with any disease which is potentially as devastating as diabetes nor will I consult any medical practitioner who is.