View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 05:57

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II IS-BOAG
Stats: 174/155/120 Female 5'2"
BF:34%
Progress: 35%
Default omnivores

actually, dogs are not pure carnivores, like cats, but are omnivores--opportunistic eaters. here is some information on feeding homecooked foods;

Pugzilla - here is a decent recipe I found and am going to try, but I will cut down on the carb portion a small amount.

According to a recipe adapted from "Prepared Dog and Cat Diets" by Strombeck D. Home, the daily protein for a 25-35 pound dog could include any one of the following: three large hard-boiled eggs, one cup of 2-percent cottage cheese, 1/3 pound cooked lean meat, 2/3 cup tofu, or 1 cup cooked soybeans.

The grain may be 2 cups cooked rice or oats or 2/3 cups of cooked potatoes with the skin. I personally prefer cooked noodles and keep a supply for several days in the refrigerator.

Some people are surprised to learn that dogs need to eat vegetables, but they are omnivores, just like humans. A good source is ½-1 cup of raw or steamed carrots. Broccoli or green beans also are good, but need to be cooked first to make them more digestible.

Alfalfa sprouts have been reported to be good for the skin and can reduce the flaking that come from dry homes.

The supplements include 2 tablespoons canola oil, a multivitamin made for dogs, ¼ teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute), and four (human consumption) bonemeal tablets or calcium supplement.
robert, i don't really want to argue about this-if you read the article it does not say anything about vets offices, but the st. louis city pound that was caught selling the bodies to rendering plants. furthermore, if i don't want to eat a tumor would i want my pet to eat a tumor? yuck!

altho its true most animals should not be eating grains, the ingredients listed on the feed bags is corn, wheat, etc.

the lethal injection is sodium pentobarbital and the FDA has found low levels in some brands of dog foods. Here is a direct quote from the Los Angeles Times article;

The Food and Drug Administration has found "very, very low levels" of sodium pentobarbital--the chemical used to euthanize animals--in some brands of dog food, said Stephen Sundloff, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine. The agency is investigating whether the traces are "of any significance at all," Sundloff said.