#7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 11:46

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Re: "The No. 1 Killer of Women"

Quote:
Even cholesterol testing is less straightforward in women than in men. Whereas high levels of LDL, the so-called bad cholesterol, are pretty good at identifying men at high risk of heart disease, women seem more vulnerable to high levels of a different fatty substance, called triglycerides. In addition, women with low levels of HDL, the so-called good cholesterol, are more likely than men to develop heart disease later on. National guidelines suggest a minimum HDL level of 40 mg/dL for men and women. "But [low] HDL is a more powerful predictor of risk in women," says Dr. Lori Mosca of New York_Presbyterian Hospital. "So in my practice I recommend keeping an HDL of 50 mg/dL for women."

I found this particularily relevant to Low-carbing. We all know triglycerides levels drop in a spectacular fashion during low-carbing.

I read this article in the Canadian Times. It was supplemented by a brief sidebar listing ways that you could protect yourself. It was the usual stuff; stop smoking, loose weight, lower stress, lower cholesterol, control blood pressure... I was disappointed to find that no where is it mentionned that low-carbing lowers triglycerides dramatically. Instead they recommended a reduced-calorie diet with lots of vegetables and whole grains.

The one glaring obmission : cut down on refined carbs.