View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 15:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I honestly wouldn't recommend Sommersizing for a diabetic, mostly because a diabetic body doesn't particularly care what you combine the carbs with. Some combinations may spike your blood sugar less than others, but I personally wouldn't go higher than 15 grams of carb in any one meal and I would never eat carbs in any form alone (ie without some fat and protein).
It really depends on how much function your pancreas still has left. Your body may be able to handle something like Somersizing, but it would be best to let your blood sugar meeter tell you that. Test before and then 1 and 2 hours after each meal and see how much your blood sugar goes up. Record what you eat each time and then also your blood sugar readings alongside what you ate. This will give you a pretty clear picture what your body can and can't handle. Just for reference, you don't want your blood sugar after a meal to go over 140 at any time and you want it to be at 120 or less 2 hours after eating.
A good book on low carbing for diabetics that I would recommend is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Another one that you may want to read is The Schwarzbein Principle. Both give excellent advice to diabetics, but Dr. Bernstein's book is more specific on testing (how, when, why, etc...) and management of blood sugars through low carbing.
I've honestly never had a problem with low blood sugars from cutting carbs except when I was taking medication for diabetes and cutting carbs which was actually a good thing...it meant that my medication needed to be reduced and after a few months of low carbing, I was able to stop taking it altogether. Why continue to take and spend a lot of money on medication when diet alone will give you the same results (actually better)?
HTH!