View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 06:26
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Most people here keep a 65-70% calories from fat, 25-30% protein and 5-10% carb ratio. Dr. Atkins says you don't really have to count calories, but that they do matter.

Upping your fat and lowering your carb intake will make you less hungry and get you full faster, so that it sort of naturally limits your calorie intake-at least it did for me. Being hypothyroid, I do keep an eye on my calories, but I don't really count them. I try to at least get 1100 a day and I usually end up somewhere between 1200-1450 a day. Sometimes more. I have had a couple of 1600 calorie days. Didn't seem to hurt any.

Two things about being hypo:

One, weight loss might be slower for you than for others. Also, you will probably never get to a really high carb count in OWL and Maintenance. My doctor warned me that I would probably never get above 45-50 g of carbs a day when I got to goal weight and it looks like he is right. I generally eat between 30-40 a day and I am still losing weight, but it has slowed down a lot. You have to be patient with yourself. My doc said that people with hypo lose the ability to process carbs and that they turn directly into fat for us. Mine all went to my butt-Darn those butt carbs! Make sure you measure! I measure several places on my body and keep a record. On the weeks I don't lose actual weight-I lose inches some place. Keeps me motivated. I have lost 6.5 inches in my waist on low carb and 8 inches in my waist overall.

Second, you might want to get a current thyroid panel done. Recent studies have shown that TSH should be lower than 2 and acceptable levels have changed because of that. I had my thryoid medication upped to lower my TSH. Check out this site:

http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm

You are also going to have to exercise. No way around it, I am afraid. It will help increase your metabolism, something all hypos need. We have a natually slower metabolism, even on medication.