View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 06:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I do not believe in calories at all. Calories are a mesure of heat, not of how well your body uses food. They can only address how much food you've burned, while ignoring food not digested.

They have somewhat taken into effect fiber, which is not absorbed. But, they still use full values for fat and protein which assume they are used by your body rather than being excreted. In fact, I feel that you excrete, piss out, sweat out, etc...the vast majority of your fat intake. Very little probably gets used for burning, unlike Carbohydrates.

I'm willing to bet that a percentage could be attached to each of those: Fat, Protein, Carbs...that would allow calories to be adjusted to accurately reflect their contribution to your weight. Currently, the numbers 9-4-4 simply reflect how many calories are needed to burn them...But, don't reflect how well they get eliminated through other means, namely excretion.

I believe fats have a strong advantage in this area. They may take more calories to burn as fuel. But, unlike carbs, I do not believe they are normally stored (in large amounts) for later use. Our bodies are very good at storing excess carbs for later use, but not at storing dietary fat.

When I was eating Hi-Carb...I would go days without going to the bathroom. But, since eating Hi-Fat...I go once or more a day. Not to disgust anyone, but the stools are also looser than they were eating low-fat/high-carb. I'm attributing that to the amount of Fat It also shows me that quite a bit of that fat gets excreted rather than stored.

Finally, why not just eat less fat...Simple, your metabolism slows down when you don't get enough fat. Thusly, if you eat too little fat...you will burn less.