View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 21:57

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

No matter how hard ya try, it's next to impossible to get a person in a "dieter's mindset" to adopt a new healthy way of eating, no matter what the plan is. In fact, there is a mass industry feeding off of these people, selling "Hollywood Diets" and "Lose 15 pounds by summer" fads. And truly any way of eating can be an unhealthy ritual if it is only done to lose 10 pounds before you're back to your same old tricks. Yet people continue to experiment with their metabolisms for quick fixes, expecting permanancy. It's lunacy!

Anyway, as any old pro dieter knows, the reason these fads are fads is because most diets are impossible to stick with in the long run. Low calories and low fat leave people unsatisfied and weak. The wonderful thing about low carbohydrate eating is that the draw toward 'forbidden foods' is not usually physical, (as in, my body is deprived of sustinance) but mental addictions therefore making it easier to stick to in the long run if you have good resolve.

I think in terms of diets, Atkins is the easiest to stick to in the long run, but you must first get out of a dieter's mindset to allow yourself to stick to it, make choices, and realize that you have to make a permanent change to not get back to the same size, weight, level of health you were before. Once you get into a lifestyle mindset, it's not as hard to give up pasta, bread, and rice, because you have adopted new cooking techniques, food choices, and even tastes that will aid in your new way of eating.

Okay, I'm rambling. It would be nice if professional dieters would give Atkins a chance as a permanent way of eating... but they really have to convince themselves.