Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 12:36
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Lisa,

Three thoughts:

1. Are you eating enough calories? Sometimes after being in ketosis for a few weeks people's appetites drop way down and they aren't eating enough. That could lead to tiredness. You might check fitday.com to see how many calories you are consuming each day. There are various opinions in this forum about what the minimum should be, but I think most people agree it should be at least 10x your goal weight (some people think it should be higher than that).

2. Are you eating at least 20 grams of carbohydrates a day including at least three cups of low carb vegetables? I think that is important for energy levels.

3. Is your eating centered around filling real foods -- vegetables, meat, fish, chicken, cheese, olive oil, etc.? Some people do a lot of bars and shakes and I don't think that our bodies can sustain themselves that well without the whole foods that are the center of most lowcarb plans.

If none of these things are the issue, you might try adding a few more carbs in the form of more vegetables, lowcarb fruit (berries and melon), or nuts. In particular, peope who exercise a lot often need more than the minimum 20 carbs a day.