#7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 00:30
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile hi JeannieFan, welcome to the forum

Since you are in early stage of Type 2 diabetes, and not dependent on insulin or medications, likely a lowcarb diet alone should bring excellent results for lowering and - more importantly - stabilizing blood sugar. The weight loss itself will also be beneficial, as reduced body fat will improve the efficiency of the insulin you do produce. To that end, you might consider starting an exercise program as well, and walking is probably the best place to start...

I know you're planning to follow Atkins program, but just for the information, check out Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution website. His focus is on lowering blood sugar and keeping it low, using lowcarb diet ... he includes extensive food lists.

Following a lowcarb program to stabilize the blood sugar should be helpful for the hyperthyroid as well. Stress can worsen the symptoms of hyperthyr. and wild dips and surges of sugar and insulin are very stressful to the body!

One of the best websites for information about thyroid disease is the About.com thyroid site. I highly recommned it .. .. One thing I noted while reading, is that there is a type of Thyroiditis, or inflammation of the thyroid gland (caused by ?? who knows, maybe a virus) where the first stage the person is hypERthyroid for a few months, then swings the opposite and is hypO for a few more months. The condition is not permanent, and can be treated with medication to treat the symptoms.

Good luck to you, and hope you get some answers soon!

Doreen