Thread: Easter egg hunt
View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 15:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Ummmm...my kids don't share your daughter's point of view. They know, of course, that chocolate and other sugary candies aren't healthy but they always say, "But it's okay for a special treat." Problem is...they think they have to have special treats on a daily basis!

We went to an Easter egg hunt this morning, too, and they loaded up on candy. We'll have two more to go to tomorrow that will be even worse (my folks...and my in-law's). At the hunt today, they served a free lunch of hot dogs, chips, ice cream and sodas. I came home hungry and made myself a big bowl of vegetable stir-fry. I wasn't even tempted to dip into their stash like I have in all the years past. I'm feeling quite proud of myself!

I don't know how to change the habits my kids have developed. I am serving a wider variety of veggies with their dinners and they eat fresh fruit every day...but I doubt that counteracts all the other junk they put in their mouths. I was a picky eater when I was a kid, too, and there was nothing my parents could have done to change it. I wish I could find a magic solution, though, because I'd much rather see them build good habits now, while they're young, than have to break bad ones later on.

Tricai