View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 19:57

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Candida et al....

Appx 10 yr's ago I started gaining weight (just after major surgery on my spine which ended my life as an athelete). I was really frustrated because I tried eating 'lots' of fruits and veggies, eat healthy (I had no idea how to diet) and I continued to gain weight. Several years, Dr's, medications, and diets later I was about 90#'s heavier. On my own (God has made me very studious) I discovered that I probably had a yeast problem. I started eating lc and taking supplements that are natural anti-fungals. WOW, I started losing weight. After about 2-3 weeks I had a really bad rash all over my body. Had read about die-off so wasn't really concerned. Uncomfortable but not concerned. After I reached the 20#'s lost mark, I had several weird things happening to my body. Prickly sores on my scalp (so small my husband couldn't see anything), splotches on my cheeks that looked like roscea (sp?), buzzy burning feeling on my tongue, as well as heavy metalic taste, vaginal yeast infection, and the worst bladder infection in the world. I had a toilet full of blood and I'd had a hysterectomy 9 years prior. Went to Naturopath for first time and he diagnosed me with severe yeast override. Prescribed Nystatin and had me continue with natural anti-fungals. He also laid out a diet plan that was similar to the lc plan I was already following. I no longer take the Nystatin but I do take the other anti-fungals. Have discovered that once a person has had yeast override, they will have a tendency to get again. I have lost about 75#'s. This was my goal. I was sooooo atheletic and can no longer do the things I used to. At 5'11" with a large muscular frame I thought 177 was a reasonable goal (although I wouldn't mind being a little thinner--I'm not dwelling on it). The moral of my very long story is that, a lot of my yeast problems did not surface until I startd starving the yeast. Much of the things I listed above are a result of yeast but there are numerous more that I have not mentioned. The Fungus Link by Doug Kaufmann is a really good resource.