View Single Post
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 21:59
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I could relate to so many posts - especially fat body issues. Reaching, bending, mobility, fitness - all are more difficult the larger you are.

But so many of the things we want to change are society issues.

Physical things like seats that are too small. Just because most adults are ~5'10" doesn't mean we set our ceiling height at 6' (although it would save space, the 'reason' business gives for not including some larger sized seating in public places). How long can we hear 'you don't fit', before we feel like outcasts?

And emotional punishment. We all know it's okay to laugh at fat people in our culture; it's one of the last non-tabboo topics. As if people can shame us into slenderness. We all know how well that works.

Many folks in this forum have lost lots of weight and the rest of us are hoping to join them sometime soon. My thoughts are ... what happens when we're not the fattest person in the room? What do we owe that individual?

Gotaloseit writes:
Quote:
And I vow, I will never, ever walk up to someone who is overweight and preach to them about the need to lose weight.
I so agree and I'll add ... I will always strive to make this world safe, accessible and comfortable for people of all sizes, regardless of the size I end up being.