View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 13:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi JFan,

I've been a Type 2 diabetic for 3 years, taking oral meds for 2 of those years. Low Carb eating is the BEST thing you can do for your blood sugars. I would suggest following DANDR (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution). Protein Power would be another good choice - I haven't read it yet but have seen it highly recommended. DANDR explains a bit of how insulin works, ie any carbs consumed that aren't immediately required to meet the body's energy needs are converted to transfatty acids by insulin & stored as fat. Insulin does other things too but I don't want to re-write DR A because he does a much better job of explaining. I don't know anything much about thyroid so I won't even touch it.

Please, please try LC way of eating (WOE) for at least one month; you'll lose weight & feel better. If you can do it for 4 months you'll have great results the next time the Dr does the tests.

A wee bit of my own story: eo March this year I started Atkins, my Dr didn't like it but I did it anyway. *When one has done a lot of research & think one has found a diet (WOE) that's livable, doable, you just charge ahead*
From Day 1 stopped taking glyberide (an oral hypoglycemic agent that causes the pancreas to produce more insulin) and my bg (blood glucose) levels have been as good or better since that 1st day. I self-monitor with a glucometer, but not every day since my BG's are good. NOW my GP is happy & thinks it is okay for me to LC. *LOL*

So go ahead, start LCing & prove to the Dr & nurse that it is healthy. It's great that you've got all those books, read lots, get educated about all the good reasons to LC & don't let anyone discourage you. RUN to your PC & check in with this support group if you have ?? or are struggling.

Oh yeah, more of my story. Very high BG with the onset of my diabetes, high ketones, Ruthie very sick. 6 weeks later with a change in diet (not LC but lots of raw vegs, no sugar or bakery products) as well as losing 25-30 lbs and I was off glyberide. This was a dramatic change & the GP & endocrinologist were very pleased, me too..... all of this to say that if you do LC WOE for 4 months, and of course lose weight, you'll test "normal" and the Dr will be astounded. You go girl. Happy reading!