View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 20:27

Plan: Atkins ("true" Induction since April 1)
Stats: 184.5/172/130
BF:yuck%/yuck%/yuck%
Progress: 23%
Cool

Hi.....

This is an excerpt from The Diet Cure: The 8-Step Program to Rebalance Your Body Chemistry and End Food Cravings, Weight Problems, and Mood Swings - Now, by Julia Ross. She's a low-carb supporter, so I found it to be very Atkins friendly. Information about the book is under the "Low Carb Books" tab up top, or here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

Today, obtaining pure drinking water is every more challenging. Whenever we drink water with additives, flavorings, sweeteners, and carbonation, our overworked liver must spend time and energy to filter and remove the additives. Only then can we use the water that is contained in the drink. In contrast, pure water requires no special processing by the body. It can be absorbed and used right away as soon as it touches our lips.

Choices in Drinking Water Despite claims from regional water treatment officials, tap water isn't a very good source of drinking water anymore, because it contains large amounts of chlorine to kill the bacteria and protozoa in it. Chlorine is toxic, especially to the kidneys, liver and heart, and it depletes the body of Vitamin E and other vital nutrients. Carbonated water is much too high in phosphorous (which can leach calcium from the body) to drink more than occasionally. Bottled spring wateres are good choices, when they are low in TDS (total dissolved solids; i.e., sludge). Higher quality bottled waters print their TDS in parts per million (ppm) on their labels. Look for brands like Canadian Glacier and Chippewa Springs Water from Wisconsin that have TDS ratings below 100ppm.

It's ok to drink distilled water, but only occasionally. It's good for detoxifying the body, but unlike spring water, or purified water treated with a reverse osmosis filtration process, it is lifeless, so don't drink it regularly. Reverse osmosis filtered water is very good as the water has been treated with a combination of two filtration systems, plus ultraviolet light. Carbon-block filtration units, which can attach to your faucet or are part of a water pitcher, are okay because they remove chlorine and some harmful chemicals. But make sure to change your filters regularly, as once they are full they will begin to recirculate wastes back into your drinking water. Buying your own faucet or under-the-sink water filter is an invaluable investment in your health; it's cheaper, more convenient, and safe than using plastic containers.

Just thought I'd share that information! I thought it was interesting.

Anshim