View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks Karen.

The thread has some good info in it. It basically confirmed what I've already read--- that my "bad" numbers ARE too high. However, I am still wondering what to do regarding my diet.

From what I've read in Atkins' books, some people do find their overall and LDL cholesterols rise during the Induction phase, but by the Maintenance level, they have dropped. I would assume it's because, by then, you are eating more balanced meals and not as much fat in general.

I am hoping to drop the remaining pounds by sticking with Induction 4-6 more weeks or so and then progress to the more balanced phases. So I am really doubting that few more weeks is going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things with regards to my cholesterol (especially since I am not in any other high risk groups for heart disease). After all, if I hadn't found out about my cholesterol levels I wouldn't be considering doing anything different anyway.

I will, however, wait to get my C checked again until it's been at least a month or so since (1) the weight is off and (2) I'm well-established in the Maintenance level. Hopefully all will be normal by then. (Keep in mind I don't know if my levels were even higher pre-LC, which makes it hard to know if they've gone up, stayed the same, or are actually lower than before).

The bottom line is that I feel compelled to continue on with Induction for just a short while longer to achieve my relatively small WL goal. Hopefully the WL, in general, will help my C levels, plus having the more balanced Maintenance levels.

I do appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this topic. Does my plan sound like a good one? Or should I try to cut way back on fat now?

Thanks for your input.

Jill