View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 00:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/250/150
BF:UK
Progress: 15%
Default Hi

My doctor's nurse practitioner saw me the first visit that I went in begging to have something done about my "hormones". I knew something was wrong with me, but at the time I did not know what. She refused that at that time to check my hormone levels. I returned not much later, with wt gain, skipping my period for 7 mos., edema, chronic fatigue, red face and neck, hot flashes, irritability, etc, etc. The doctor was there that day and I insisted that she ask her for a hormone profile, the doctor, also ordered some more blood work, to check for PCOS (which I had never heard of at the time) since I was too young (27 y/o) for menopause. The tests confirmed PCOS, and she sent me to my OB/GYN, he then, after 2 visits to him, refered me to an Endocrinologist, finally! I have had symptoms of PCOS for years, now that I know what it is, and I wish more people knew about it. I emailed a lot of educational materials about it to my friends and family when I found out what was wrong with me, and what happpened to their attitude about my weight and health problems? Nothing, they do not understand it and do not try to, it is easier for them to think that the complex problems, which they are not accustomed to, are immagined and that lo-carb is crazy. I have learned to deal with it. My husband and my mom are the only ones who seem to understand, thank God. So... where I am leading with this is... demand that your doctor send you to and endocrine MD after your lab work and take a copy of the results with you. Do not let the doctor tell you that you need ultrasounds, etc. to confirm the diagnosis, the lab work is the main identifier. Some people with PCOS do not even get cysts on the ovaries, maybe why PCOS is also known as Stein-Leventhal Syndrome. Good luck to you. It is still hard and I am not having a lot of luck with my medication the doctor put me on for PCOS yet, but at least I know what is wrong with me and I am fighting to do something about it, tell your doctor to put that in his pipe and smoke it, lol.